The 2013 Special Talk "Does Death End It All"... Spanish version eliminates the word "Nanotechnology"

by Calebs Airplane 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

That's interesting. I suppose that translation is one area that the GB can't actively police. One London Bethelite once confided in me that what the WTBTS were most afraid of was some sort of "Spanish schism" where a group of Spanish JWs would set up an alternative Governing Body & split the Org. I wonder whether that was a factor in the closing of the Madrid branch.

• sir82
    sir82

some sort of "Spanish schism" where a group of Spanish JWs would set up an alternative Governing Body & split the Org.

DFing policy is routinely ignored in the US Spanish speaking congregations, at least to the extent the GB would like it. I think it is even less strictly observed in Centrial & South America.

I suspect the "show your loyalty by shunning your family" articles that are appearing with increasing regularity are aimed at Latino congregations.

It seems highly unlikely there would ever be such a split, but if there ever were, the disfellowshipping policy would probably be the primary factor for it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Since Spanish speaking people think that " furious " meant to hit your wife, maybe they cofuse " nanotechnology with nannertechnology?!

• caballoSentado
    caballoSentado

Wolf:

My native language is spanish... I live in Lima, Peru... left the JW in 2001 over the UN.. I read the forum daily, but don't post much

greetings

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I am completely bilingual in Spanish and English, and I know of many, many examples where the English and Spanish Watchtowers differ. The latest one I noticed was a disfellowshipping article, where the English had only one extra "do not contact through electronic means" and the Spanish one had "do not contact through e-mail, phone, .... etc..."

I also know a bit of Portuguese and so I have noticed that the Portuguese version is a word-for-word translation from the English, whereas the Spanish one differs quite a bit in language and grammar. Older publications used to be word-for-word but newer publications can significantly differ to the point of being a totally different meaning.

I guess it is because there are 20 different countries and 20 different ways of saying the same thing (that is certainly one possibility)

The other possibility is that the Spanish translators are taking their liberties, effectively creating two different "types" of JW's... Spanish and English speaking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit