Is there a link between peaks in newbies and new light flashes?

by likeabird 37 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird

Hi everybody

I hope you are all well and enjoying your Saturday!

It's really great seeing so many newbies, congratulations to each and everyone of you. And welcome.

In any case, my question is the one I put in the title :

Is there a link between peaks in newbies and new light flashes?

I think Clarity's threads "Look at all the people are great" and thought it would be interesting to make a comparison of when everyone joined to see what new light there was during peak moments.

The trouble is that it's impossible to do a search of the members database (if anyone knows how this could be done, suggestions are welcome)let alone use it to make graphs and charts.

To do that, it all has to be put into spreadsheet form and done member by member. I did a little math and on JWN we have over 775 pages of members with 20 members per page. Total membership is 15782...and counting

I devised a pretty simple way to enter all the data and takes about 1 minute per member including the time to find the members exact last post date and exact membership date.

At that rate it will take me 263 hours to do it all and so would like to know if anyone would like to give me a hand. Any help would be appreciated.

I will post you some links to enter the data in a few minutes. Be right back...

• likeabird
    likeabird

So, all you need to do is choose a page of members, e.g. Section B pages 1-5, and post your selection here so nobody does the same as you.

Then open this link and fill in the relevant questions for each member on your chosen page and click on submit:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/135hfSP3oGVmTfFKk8n3KxG-2Vw6ZMmf2gSQJtzxzTco/formResponse

If you have any questions, just post them here.

You can see the database grow here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avu6hpJAsUjpdFFySWRpRHhEU1RYLUk2NUctR1FIelE&usp=sharing#gid=0

And if you want to download it to start making your own comparisons, you can do that too.

Thanks everyone. Have a good Saturday!

• likeabird
    likeabird

I've already done section A pages 1-5.

I'm starting section A pages 6-10.

• flipper
    flipper

LIKEABIRD- Yes, I really think there is a correlation with wacked out alleged " new light " coming down from the WT Society leaders and the rate of exit that is taking place and new people joining JWN.

For instance several years ago we had a good number of people joining the board after the crazy " overlapping generation " teaching was put in the WT magazine. Also last summer after the Candace Conti twenty something million $$$$ civil lawsuit won against the WT Society for child abuse that as well caused some people to start coming out and sharing their horror stories of child abuse being tolerated in congregations and they started posting regularly here. And now from this last fall and winter we see a huge influx of folks since the WT Society's stating that only the governing body- those 8 men only are the alleged " faithful & discreet slave. "

So if we just keep allowing the WT Society leaders to keep screwing up on their own- they are very good at shooting themselves in their own foot. I believe we are just at the start of seeing a gradually exiting good number of Witnesses ! Very exciting to see these people attain freedom of mind and escape being trapped in the JW cult .

I appreciate your research efforts in what you're doing. I always wondered how many people were on this board. Over 15,000 ? Wow. I wish I could help you research more like you requested but I'm so busy with work I just don't have the time to do so. But good for you in the efforts you are putting into it ! Perhaps someone who is retired on the board may help you. Take care, Peace out, mr. Flipper

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The recent events that flipper refers to encouraged me to become a member. I've been regularly lurking - and researching - for almost two years. Being "raised in the truth" and now middle aged with a lot of family active, this is a big step! I'm currently "in" physically - still attending the Sunday meetings and fading discreetly.

As a side note, it was the encouragement and compassion that is expressed on this forum for folks like me - from former active publishers - that kept me coming back to this site. It's not the negative, judgemental, sophomoric expressions of some posters.

If I want to hear that everyday, I'd remain a Jehovah's Witness....

• flipper
    flipper

GINGERBREAD- Nice to have you here ! Congratulations on your fading and I hope it goes smoothly for you. I have lots of JW family still in as well so I know how careful a person has to be. I'm glad that this board and the encouragement and compassion shown here has helped you try to attain freedom of mind . Remember many here, including myself will continue to be a support for you, O.K. ? Hang in there and keep on keeping on researching and educating yourself. Take care

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

It might be so. The GB identified as the FDS is maybe a big thing.

Is there anyone who knows if this site gets a lot of new members during/after summer conventions. I noticed that during past summers conventions we had surprisingly high number of guest during lunch brakes and the evenings at our swedish XJW-community. And after the conventions a lot of new people registered themselves to the community.

• clarity
    clarity

Well good morning likeabird!

I saw your Survey just now and apologise for missing it!

>

It is great ...couldn't see the results tho, just empty rectangles!

>

Will you be bringing it back or did you get enough stats?

>

Now to your new venture ....................>

I did a little math and on JWN we have over 775 pages of members with 20 members per page.

Total membership is 15782...and counting

>

this venture sounds absolutely wonderful ......oh except for the 263 hrs,

omg, I have gone thru that members list ......geez it is HUGE!

>

I love that you want to do this..... and normally would volunteer

because it is close to my heart, but 'moving house' is looming

on the horizon and don't want to start something I can't finish.

>

Having said that ....... if I can jump in and help I will.......

plse keep posting your progress. You seem so organized

and I so admire that ....let us know where you are in that

perplexity of names, will you?

>

Your ideas will show a more accurate picture of

the 'Newbies' joining etc.

>

My thread is more about the indications,

& 'feelings' (thats me..all the way) and

of course concern & love for these lovely people and

wanting to make sure, to some extent, that they are

very welcome here & so important! We have a need to belong!

>

Best of luck with this ...stay in touch OK....

clarity

• likeabird
    likeabird

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I agree with you Flipper that there is a link, I just felt like seeing what the numbers say, for what it's worth. I understand about being busy 'n all, but even stopping by to say hi is really good and well appreciated. In any case, this is going to take a while, so will need all the help or hellos we can get!

Welcome to you Gingerbread. Really pleased to meet you, even if only virtually. A discreet fade is best and keeps everyone off your back and relatively free to do what you want and more importantly give you time to assimilate everything you're learning and decide what you want to do next.

Btw, I love your name. I can't wait to see what avatar you choose (if you do of course;-). I just looked up gingerbread pics and this one had me laughing so hard.

Waking up to the truth is like having a whole chunk bitten out of you - did with me. I felt so angry, just like this guy does! How dare they break my candy cane!

In any case, we are here for you as and when you need us.

• likeabird
    likeabird

Thanks for your post Dismissing Servant. That's a good question. I hope when we start getting a lot of data typed in we'll be able to see if that's true or not. Have done over 200 members...still another 15,000 to go. Hopefully at around the 2 or 3,000 mark we will be able to start seeing some trends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit