Incident with the Jehovah's Witness babysitter...

by garyneal 19 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

My youngest daughter is so cute, she loves singing and loves being festive. When I put up the tree, she loved saying, "It's Christmas, it's pretty...." Her babysitter, a witness from my wife's hall, lives next door to a neighbor who put up decorations in the yard like I did in front of our apartment. When we leave her house, she would run next door to look at the "christmas" as she would say, "Look, the christmas." She also sings Happy Birthday a lot but I guess I never pay it any thought. I mean, why should I, these stupid rules are their stupid rules, not mine.

Well, evidently she has been singing happy birthday a lot at the baby sitters house too. My wife told me tonight that the babysitter told her that she sings that song too much and that my wife needs to get her to stop. The more she sings it, the greater the chance that the other kids will begin singing it. At least that was the babysitter's reason according to my wife. Then my wife said, "Well, I guess it is considered bad." Then I replied, "To who? I don't subscribe to the belief that birthdays are bad. Those rules don't apply to me."

The first question I asked was that if we (my wife and I) were both non-witnesses and our child was doing this, would she have said something to us about it? I understood that she does keep non-witness kids so surely there was the possibility that this could have come from one of them and/or that child's parents would find it cute that he or she sings the happy birthday song at two. My wife just simply said that all the kids she keeps but one has witness parents. Frankly, I thought she kept two kids who had non-witness parents but I guess not.

A lot was said and we even brought up the fact that she said nothing to me about it and that she too has a non-witness husband. I told my wife that I was not upset but that I would ask her how she would've handled it in the case of a child who had non-witness parents. If out of respect for her beliefs or the beliefs of the witness kids' parents, I would at least understand. However, how would I convey this to a two year old? What can a two year old possibly understand about respecting others beliefs?

I told my wife that she was free to handle this herself but also pointed out that if my child was singing happy birthday, I would not point it out as wrong because I think it is cute. My wife said that it is simply a song and therefore sees nothing wrong with it herself. When I asked her again how she wants to handle it, she said, "I'm just going to let it ride until September when I plan to put her in a regular daycare."

And there you have it. I won't say anything to the babysitter in regards to this incident since I do not want to do anything that may strain the relationship my wife and she may have. However, I have been a lot less subtle about what we do in front of her than I use to. I'm just simply tired of walking on eggshells around them people and am tired of not being allowed to be myself around them for my wife's sake. Especially since my wife just recently took my oldest daughter to a birthday party last Saturday and is going to allow her to go to another birthday party / sleepover this Saturday.

I can respect my wife's delimma in regards to wanting to be a witness on the one hand but wanting to live a normal life on the other, but I am not the witness, why do I have to tip toe around them like this? I don't! Therefore, I won't. I don't plan to go all out advertising everything we do around the other witnesses, but I am not planning to always watch what I say around them anymore either.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Live your own life, not someone else's. Besides you know it's just a phase, she'll be singing something else soon.

• maisha
    maisha

Tell the babay sitter to GROW UP!

• blondie
    blondie

Is it that hard to find a good babysitter? You are the husband and according to jw dogma, still the head of the house. You said the babysitter's husband is not a jw; perhaps he is also delegated to the back of the bus. 2 years old........

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

It is the job of a baby sitter to give developmental feedback if they are long term ("Sally is reading well") or to indicate issues of concern ("Jack banged his head") but not to impose religious standards. That she has reported back to you is good and positive (you want people who will give you info) and you shoul dprobably just ignore the topic for now and just keepan eye on whether this extends to inculcating the children with watchtower children products (my mother likes getting my non-believing kids books on bible stories - grrr.)

Just ignore it, let your kids experience life, let them know they are accepted and validated and what your parental boundaries are. As long as they see you as the alpha figures you are fine.

Good babysitters are worth their weight in gold.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I can't imagine suppressing a two-year old from singing....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Even if it's annoying, children usually repeat phrases and words (and sounds) when they are first learning to talk. Let them, no matter how annoyed you might be about hearing it for the 900 billionth time. That's how they practice speaking. And if the witless can't stand that situation, it is that thing's problem, not yours.

Keep up the work in decorating the tree. It is better to enjoy the Christmas tree this intensely than to be afraid of them, and the natural beauty of a properly decorated Christmas tree is going to show through to someone that is 2 or 3. And let your younger ones watch--even give token help in placing a single (unbreakable) ornament on the tree. They take joy in watching the Christmas tree going up, and all the more so if they can help in some tiny way. Later, they will be decorating their own trees, and this is done in stages as they are ready. Obviously, I do not recommend letting a toddler decorate with lights, glass ornaments, or something that could fall off the tree (like the topper) until they are older.

You might be looking for another babysitter for a different reason. The witlesses might not be able to tolerate small children singing Happy Birthday (or a Christmas song, when they get a little older), but they sure can molest them.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Perhaps the situation could be settled by teaching the child some other songs, so that she is less inclined to sing "Happy Birthday" around the sitter. Perhaps you could teach her the National Anthem, "America the Beautiful", "Amazing Grace", "What a Friend We have in Jesus", etc.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think if I had been the babysitter in that situation, I would try redirecting. The child sings Happy Birthday and I may ask her to sing another song, say the ABC's or The Wheels on the Bus. Not sure if she has actually tried this approach since I was never told about this directly. Since I promised my wife I would not get involved, I will not bother to mention it to the babysitter directly either.

Happy: Yes this is a phase, just as you say.

maisha: The babysitter needs to realize that there are other kinds of people out there and if she is going to take in non-witness kids, she needs to realize that these things can happen. If short, grow up, the whole world is much bigger than they are.

blondie: This babysitter is by far the cheapest considering how good she is with kids. A daycare center would easily run us $200+ / week for children her age. Since my wife and I had agreed a while back that she will go to a center at age 3, I am not too concerned. That decision is based on the fact that a center will engage the children more than a sitter. That said, she is still learning quite a bit thanks to the sitter. I will say that on balance, she is a good sitter and will certainly recommend her to other, in spite of her little quirks.

Qcmbr: I will have to say on balance, she is a good sitter and worth her weight in gold. But I would recommend pulling the child at age 3 though to better prepare the child for kindergarten. Our oldest was in a center since 4 months and you can see a real difference academically.

jgnat: For real, what can I possibly say to my youngest for singing Happy Birthday.

WTWizard: I do think about the molestation thing but she will be leaving soon. I don't think this babysitter is prone to molesting the kids, so no worries. Will keep the kids involved in holiday and birthday celebrating though.

Billy: I love it, LOL. Got to try it.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

You leave your daughter with a dub babysitter??? What would happen if, heaven forbid, your child had an accident and needed blood? Even if you're always available by phone, is that a risk you want to take?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit