Baptized

by nibbled 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lostinnj83
    lostinnj83

I was 11 years old.

That's another HUGH issue I have, is allowing the decision of a minor to haunt them for the rest of their lives!

Baptism should not be allowed under the age of 18 years old.

If at that point someone want's to bind themselves to a set of man made rules then at least they are a legal adult!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, there's a big difference between being old enough to parrot what adults have told you, and being old enough to think critically and be willing to read outside information. I was baptized rather late for a born-in, but I still wasn't old enough.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I was 19.

• JWOP
    JWOP

I was 17. I was pressured into it because I was a born-in who "should be ready by now!". In reality, I was SOOOOOO NOT ready: Had a secret boyfriend who I had been sleeping with. Couldn't tell my parents about him though, for obvious reasons. I rationalized to myself that I would just stop having sex with him after my baptism.... but of course, that didn't happen. Everyone kept pestering me to get baptized, so I finally did it just to get them off my back.

• nibbled
    nibbled

@coffee_black 8 years old?!?! Wow. As a JW? Wow. Sooo young!!! I'm surprised they let you!

I find the whole thing about the WT being a corporation and our baptism basically a formalization of a legal relationship is disturbing. Since I'm new, not sure if that's something that was already discussed... don't mean to bore others, but just mentioning.

I've come across folks talking about how being a minor means that you're not able to enter into contract, thus it's like getting married and lying about your age as a minor.

• Emery
    Emery

• jgnat
    jgnat

Never a JW here. Baptized as an infant in to the United Church and dunked at age nineteen at an an Evangelical church after the pattern described in the book of Acts. My new church was big on doing things biblically. Back in the hey-day, they were baptizing up to six a weekend.

• Pickler
    Pickler

I was 14 or 15 when I got baptized.

I clearly remember deciding to tell my parent I wanted to get baptized as a way of getting her out of a really bad mood. I also remember wearing a dress that I hated because it was too girly, but I had to wear it because I was told to.

Too young to pick your own clothes? Yes, but....sure you can make a lifelong commitment to Jehovah, and if you change your mind ill shun you forever.....

They pride themselves on no infant baptism, but child baptism is the same thing.

• nibbled
    nibbled

Pickler, didn't realize you're female. :) You make such a good point. If I'm not trusted to make a child's choice like clothing,...

At 12, I made my own choice. My parents also pretty much treated me like an adult, and at 15 I was a legally emanicipated minor so I could make adult decisions when I traveled alone.

Puberty hit and boys and men alike were ever present. I married young and wrong. That choice and my parents freedom seems so different than that which I now recognize as our Father's guidance on the matter. His son didn't get baptized until he was 30 years old! Imagine the disgrace in the WT of a "born-in" waiting that long!

• Sulla
    Sulla

Heh. JWs say they don't do infant baptism; they do child baptism. Eight!? Eleven!?

I was an ancient 15 years old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit