The Guardian hints strongly at why cults like Watchtower get off so lightly with the UK press...

by cedars 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

This article explained a great deal...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2013/jan/14/cant-read-scientology-book-uk

Now I know a main reason why it is so difficult to get UK newspapers to pick up a good JW-related story.

It's not JUST because JWs are a tiny religion. After all, Scientology is arguably even smaller than JWs, and they get more media exposure than we do.

It seems the extreme libel laws may be predominantly to blame for the Watchtower's successful evasion of newpaper and television reports in the UK.

Cedars

• wasblind
    wasblind

It seems the extreme libel laws may be predominantly to blame for the Watchtower's successful evasion of newpaper and television reports in the UK.

________Cedars

Are you sayin' the Watchtower society didn't " WAIT ON JEHOVAH !!!!!!! "

Say it ain't so Cedars !!!!!! Say it ain't so

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Good reason to sign the libel law refrom petition:

www.libelreform.org/sign

newspapers and publishers often steer very clear of anything that might provoke a libel suit - so the WT wouldn't even have to threaten to sue if a newspaper thinks they might. They just don't run the story. Simple.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they know their way around a courtroom quite well.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That's too bad the org always gets to say whatever they want about other religions, governments or whatever and nobody sues them.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yet WT can publish any lies they choose. It's not a level playing field where religion gets involved.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Rob Crompton........ I have signed the libel reform petition

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I signed it ages ago when it was highlighting some quack cures cannot be criticised fully for fear of reprisals and law suits by those practicing them.

It is very complicated what can and cannot be said freely these days.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18780-simon-singh-wins-libel-battle-against-chiropractors.html

http://realityismyreligion.me/2011/11/28/us-cancer-quacks-threaten-17-year-old-schoolboy-in-wales/

• wasblind
    wasblind

they know their way around a courtroom quite well._______wha happened

Nooooooooooooooo No , No , No Say it ain't Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I can't breathe, can't breathe, gimme some water , I'm all choked up

The WTS would NEVER try to direct their own steps.

because man has dominated man to his injury. Everybody KNOWS

we ain't no part of this world cuz the whole world is

lyin' in the power of the WICKED one

We don't touch unclean thangs that lay up wit' harlots

Especially those that use an off brand protection ,

we use Spirit brand, that come in a three pack gauranteed not to tear

Lyin' Apostates

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hard to believe that the wt is more litigious than is scientology. The wt claims to be persecuted, yet kills any unfavorable media in the cradle. Only criticism from lawless hinterlands that nobody like anyway, gets through.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit