Emergency preparedness?

by NoRegrets 10 Replies latest jw friends

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Anyone have any specific examples regarding recent instructions on having a backpack/bag ready for a sudden Armageddon? Maybe a recent KM article or BOE letter? I'd love a PDF. PM if you want if it's something copyrighted or post a link if there's already a thread on this topic. Thanks everyone!

NR

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Received an email about this including which elder I should contact to let them know where we are. I haven't been to a meeting for well over 2 years and this elder is the last person I would ever ask help from...he is clueless and his only qualification is to be a company man. Even my JW wife agrees with me. By the way I deleted the email before my wife had a chance to see it. In the case of a disaster we will seek help from the trained civil authorities.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Never mind what the WTS. says, I would make it your own personal initiative to have provisions on hand.

There are many web sites to help people out what you should have in storage on hand in case of dramatic emergency.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

This initiative provides a (false) sense of security and the feeling that the WTS cares for the sheeps, reinforcing their control over them. It also reminds their members that the end could happen at any time now and that they need to be ready for the disaster that will preceed Armageddon. Some type of reminders have to be used now that the threat of persecution and emprisonment is no longer at the forefront of their scare tactics.

• Pickler
    Pickler

A couple of years ago I visited my mother who is a witness. I am DF but see her every few years or so, I think she justifies it to herself because she gets to see my kids.

Anyway, there were floods in our part of the world, and she was glued to the tv. She would never talk about witness stuff around me, but this time she couldn't contain her excitement.....she showed me a list the elders had given her. A list in preparation for Armageddon. I wish I'd been able to get a copy, it was well meaning and hilarious at the same time. From memory it had things like the following:

- keep bottled water, batteries, a nominated meeting point, mobile phone charged (!)

it was a whole A4 page of instructions. Sorry I don't have a copy but I can tell you these lists exist.

My mother was so excited about it. Shes old, and lived through 1975, so shes been waiting a long time for this. It was surreal, because I think she thought I should be impressed by it, i remember her saying something about how loving the brothers in the congregation were to provide this plan.

I read it and said something positive like, great (encouraging and supportive me!!!)

And it didn't concern her at all that my 2 children and myself wouldn't survive this event, or that they were listening to every word!

I sometimes think if a non JW heard an exchange like that, they could never begin to understand it.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I had an elder come to my home to tell where my safe house was & who I had to report to.

Even though I only live a mile from my elderly parents they are assigned to another safe house.

Not a lot of thought gone into that arrangement me thinks.

It's just a means to keep the sheeples on their toes.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This move prompts witnesses to think, "Oooooh! The Society must know something is going to happen soon!"

In reality, I can attest to the fact that in a catastrophic natural disaster, the society/local congregation can do absolutely nothing to help you. You're pretty much on your own.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think it has anything to do with the big A. This preparedness information came out shortly after Katrina when the WTS lost track of individuals and congregations. It was a wakeup call that even in the US their self-proclaimed preparedness in disasters was flawed.

Whatever his reason, these emergency packs arose out of Hurricane Katrina (2005) and how many congregations lost track of their members and how little the elders knew about them, addresses, phone numbers, and more importantly contact information. No emergency packs even for 1975, 1984, 1994, 2000.

*** km 5/08 p. 3 Announcements ***Bodies of elders should review the July 6, 2006, letter regarding disaster preparedness and ensure that they have up-to-date contact information for each publisher. In disaster-prone areas, additional emergency contact information should be obtained. Of course, in addition to emergency situations, it is helpful when publishers communicate with their Congregation Book Study overseer or another elder if they will be away for extended periods, such as when traveling on vacation or business, during a hospital stay, and so forth.

*** km 1/07 p. 4 Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster? ***

1 Each year, millions of people around the world, including many of our brothers and sisters, are affected by earthquakes, tsunamis, monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. Since natural disasters occur unexpectedly and could affect any of us, it is the course of wisdom to be prepared.—Prov. 21:5.

2 In Advance: Sometimes the authorities are able to warn of impending disasters. It is important to pay attention to those warnings. (Prov. 22:3) In such situations the elders will try to contact all in the congregation to help them to make necessary preparations. After a disaster, the elders will also endeavor to contact all who are associated with the congregation to see if they are safe and to discern what assistance may be needed. Valuable time can be lost if the elders do not have up-to-date contact information. So it is good for publishers to keep the secretary and their book study overseer informed of their current address and telephone number(s).

3 If the congregation is located in a disaster-prone area, the elders may ask publishers to provide the name and telephone number of a relative or friend who does not live in the vicinity and who should be contacted in case of an emergency. This will enable the elders to locate those who have evacuated. The elders may also wish to develop a contingency plan for the congregation that includes such things as a simple checklist of emergency supplies to keep on hand, evacuation arrangements, and plans for assisting those with special needs. Cooperation with these loving arrangements is important.—Heb. 13:17.

4 After a Disaster: What should you do if a disaster strikes in your area? Make sure that your family’s immediate physical needs are cared for. As you are able, give necessary assistance to others who have been affected. Endeavor to contact your book study overseer or another elder as soon as possible. This should be done even if you are safe and do not need help. If you need assistance, be assured that your brothers are making every effort to help you. (1 Cor. 13:4, 7) Remember that Jehovah is aware of your situation; rely on him to sustain you. (Ps. 37:39; 62:8) Be alert to opportunities to provide spiritual and emotional support to others. (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) Resume your theocratic routine as soon as possible.—Matt. 6:33.

5 While the threat of disaster causes the world much anxiety, we can look to the future with confidence. Soon all disasters will be a thing of the past. (Rev. 21:4) In the meantime, we can take reasonable steps to prepare for times of trouble and difficulties as we maintain our zeal in declaring the good news to others.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Thanks for the article references Blondie, and the participation everyone!

NR

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have a 72 hour kit packed.

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/kts/bsc-kt-eng.aspx

Planners say it takes about 72 hours for emergency supports to kick in. My personal observation, chaos drags on for a week or so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit