They Are Just Like The Amish (But with Electricity)

by OnTheWayOut 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Enlightening thread, and a good comparison to remember, "the Amish are just the JW's unplugged".

Say that often enough to Dubbies and it may get through that they too are in a friggin' cult.

• carla
    carla

Do jw's knock on Amish & Mennonite doors?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Carla,

Yes JW's do knock on Amish doors. A group from my KH once went down to PA to work in a territory where the need was great and it was an Amish on, One sister told me how the Amish women were fascinated by all the makeup the JW sisters were allowed to wear and the colorful clothes, LOL.

From what I heard, they didn't get too far with the Amish anyway.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Say that often enough to Dubbies and it may get through that they too are in a friggin' cult.

You would have to explain why the Amish are witnesses unplugged or they would never make the connection. Their first reaction would be, "No we're not, we mix in society. We don't live seperately like the Amish do." I was never a witness and that was my first reaction.

Most witnesses would never think too far beyond that.

• undercover
    undercover

If there's a movie featuring Amish lifestyle called "Witness", could there be a movie featuring JW lifestyle called, "Electric Amish"?

• flipper
    flipper

ON THE WAY OUT- Good thread and good comparison. There is a marketing angle to everything JW's do as they learn that concept from the top of the WT Society on down to the rank & file publishers. The fake smiles and conditional " caring " ( if you can call it that- not ) to only show alleged " concern " for non-Witnesses is such a pretend, bogus feature of Witnesses that they start treating even fellow JW's that way many times. It's all part of the mental mind control conditioning that permeates their brains causing an " us vs. them " mentality towards people outside the organization. And they've been trained and condiioned so thoroughly in this mindset that they'll treat fellow Witnesses this way as well if they sense or sniff out the slightest doubts, " rebellious attitude ", or " apostate leanings " in a person- suddenly that person JW or not is cast aside as well. I know it as I've experienced it personally from a number o JW's that I used to consider " friends ". They treat me like poison now. LOL ! Of course- as the old expression goes " with " friends " like that - who needs enemies " ? Right ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Label Licker, it sounds like they are ready for the whole economy to crash.

Gary Neal, the 19th century had no television and movies, and most importantly, women were clearly second class citizens just above slaves.

Aussie Oz, thanks for helping make the point that " they have the same troubles we do."

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

In our old hall we had Mennonite territory that was worked in FS. If you worked in that territory you were asked to not wear alot of makeup or jewelry ,and to wear very modest plain clothing . Most of the women would not speak to you at the door ,men had a better shot talking to another man.

I think it is important for Witnesses to see how some of the other cult religions operate ....When they see others that shun and how it affects families, bend to Elder's authorities ,have fear of being destroyed for going against the belief system ....They can not help but question why they too believe similar things .

On my way out of the JWs something that helped me was seeing a show about cults on TV . Once I saw the similarities between what JWs believed ,and how close it was to this cult religion ...it made me realize I needed to do more research . The main points were the shunning , the belief that everything outside their belief system was evil . The fear which kept a person in even if their conscience was telling them something was wrong . The guilt felt for questioning ....The absolute fear that they would be destroyed at Armegedeon .

At the end of the show there were links to 'Steve Hassons' books and website, and to Freeminds . The points made on that show gave me the much needed strength to go ahead and investigate what I already thought may be the case ......I was raised in a religious cult too.

It was a Dr. Phil show called "The Two Fawns " . Two teenage girls each named Fawn that had escaped the Colorado City Cult of J.Jessop .

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

From what I've read, the Amish don't have a central organization, like the JW governing body, so I think it would be more like Amish are JWs unplugged and without the evil empire.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The Amish are suffering genetically from their isolationist way of life. They aren't the only group either. Just one more reason that shows how f'ed up fundamentalist religions/cults are.

At least the JWs recruit new blood. They probably won't suffer from this issue unless noo-lite is issued.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit