Necessary family business

by stillin 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

What could be more necessary than having regular communication with your family and showing them love? Nothing.

It's weird that the WTBTS frames it as "business," isn't it? They really are modeled as a business masquerading as a religion.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You are quite right, stillin - but somehow I do not think that is what they meant

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

A CO at a needs of the circuit part in a circuit assembly stated that the Bible does not even give an allowance for "necessary family business" for associating with DFed family members. He said that the governing body made that concession because they have that authority from Jehovah.

• TMS
    TMS

It's a bullshit rule, but JW's, as always, simply get creative in circumventing the rule. I'll give 4 quick example from my personal experience:

1. An elder, who was also a medical doctor and so had the means, rents a separate apartment for his 20 year old DF'd son. The elder keeps his position, but still "confers' regularly with his son about rent, utilities and other necessary business.

2. A mother with a 21 year old DF'd daughter gets together routinely to go over their shared VISA credit card.

3. A father and mother rent the old family home to their 22 year old DF'd son, stopping periodically to check on maintenance issues and collect the rent.

4. During this same time period(the early 90's), our 21yr old son was DF'd. My wife, on her own volition, took a very different approach. She went to each of the very hardnosed elders on our son's judicial committee and told them in no uncertain terms that she was not going to play any silly games pretending to have "necessary business" to communicate with our son, but she was for certain going to maintain contact. She told each JC member to "disfellowship me right now, but I'm not going to stop talking to my son." None of them ever made a move to do that. When she told me that night what she had just done, I couldn't disagree. I was proud of her.

tms

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

He said that the governing body made that concession because they have that authority from Jehovah.

What a crock of sh**!! Our CO gave that same talk. It was the rantings of mid-level boss who hopes to continue to have his bills paid and insurance paid, and cars purchased, by us. The vow of poverty never looked so good! The CO said in no uncertain terms that YOU will be DF'd yourself if you have " unneccessary " dealing with DF'd family. The WTBTS is losing control and they know it. The Shepherd the Flock book comments on this subject in Chapter 5 on page 60. It specifically says " Willful, continued, unnecessary association with disfellowshipped nonrelatives, despite repeated counsel."

The GB don't have authority to do jack, so therefore they are not in a position to make concessions. They do not even follow their own secret guide book. Just tell them that an Elder told you that the Shepherd Book is very specific, and says nonrelatives. If they attempt to dictate what they feel is necessary, then tell them to mind their own buisiness.

Carla said " I told him he was not loving his own family much less his neighbor if he was not willing to lay down his life for another, meaning, he was more concerned with his is own butt and not mixing with lowly sinners and what the cong/elders would say. Rather he should be there for the family at all times and allow them to see his (so called) godly life in action. He saw my point and quickly changed the subject. "

That says it all...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

TMs, your wife has a bigger ball sack than all of those elders involved, put together. I applaud her actions

• 00DAD
    00DAD

They go talk to strangers about "God," but shun their own family members.

• clarity
    clarity

TMS ...... your wife ..... fabulous gutsy woman!

clarity

• Eustace
    Eustace

She went to each of the very hardnosed elders on our son's judicial committee and told them in no uncertain terms that she was not going to play any silly games pretending to have "necessary business" to communicate with our son, but she was for certain going to maintain contact. She told each JC member to "disfellowship me right now, but I'm not going to stop talking to my son." None of them ever made a move to do that. When she told me that night what she had just done, I couldn't disagree. I was proud of her.

You're very right to be proud of her! If only more JWs did that!!

All this shun your family stuff they've been pushing so hard since September of 2011 is nothing but a big old bluff.

The thing is they can't disfellowship you for associating with a family member.

• Mum
    Mum

In Corinthians 5:11, it says not to associate with one who calls himself a brother who is sexually immoral, a drunkard, an idolator, an extortionist, etc. Notice that the admonition is stated in terms of behavior and says nothing about not associating with someone who gets on the wrong side of some contemptible bullies masquerading as ministers.

Almost anyone would avoid a person engaging in the behaviors described in that scripture. What it says is sufficient, and there's no need to add to it in order to create family dysfunction and tension.

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit