My grandson is interviewing with Harvard tomorrow

by coffee_black 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The more elite schools are well-endowed and strongly believe that no one is turned away b/c of money. My parents worked so we were not utter poor. I ended up paying less to attend an Ivy League university than I attended a local community college. They like diversity.

Being poor and applying to Harvard shows character and courage. They want a mix of income levels.

I even had some spending money in grants.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Congratulations, Coffee! You must be bursting with pride. And best wishes to your grandson. What a great opportunity he has. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Best to all, and I hope he is accepted.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is clear that he will be matriculating at a very impressive university. Please tell us future developments. Nothing thwarts the WTBTS, as educated people.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Wow, that is impressive. Even if he is not selected, what an honor to be a candidate. My grandson is 18 next month and plans to go to college. I was surprised to find out he wants to get a divinity degree, and be a minister. His parents are not religious, my daughter was raised a JW, but never became one (for which I am profoundly grateful). His dad was raised Seventh Day Adventist, but doesn't practice. My grandson attended with his other grandmother, and went to SDA schools his entire life. He has been mentored by the youth pastor. I am not crazy about SDA, too close to JW, but it wasn't my decision, and he seems to be thriving, and is a mature and responsible kid. His goal is to have his own non denomination church someday, which tells me he is not locked in as SDA. While it is not Harvard, I am sure far from it, I am proud that he is doing it on his own with scholarships and loans. My JW mother is probably rolling over in her grave, but I am happy he is spiritually inclined. His mother attempted suicide several times as a teen, and his father got kicked out of two schools for fighting, so I had some concerns as to how he would turn out, I would never have hoped he would be the happy, well adjusted teen that he is.

Again congrats on your grandson

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey Coffee - I'm sure you remember Snowbird who used to contribute to the board, it's either her nephew or grandson that attends Harvard, that would be something if sometime down the road they both eneded up as roommates !!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

WOOHOO!! Congratulations to you and your son! Got my fingers and toes crossed for him :)

Sending you a pm...

GGG

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Interview is at 2pm.

My daughter is the one who is nervous...and me of course... He's fine. Plans on going in there and just being himself. He really shines in one on one conversations. Here he is when he started his 1100 mile walk from Orlando to Washington DC to highlight the plight of homeless children in the US. And below...his senior pictures

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Shirley, Any way to reach Snowbird? I miss her.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Coffee

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Coffee - Just sent you a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit