Visited Beth Sarim today

by exwhyzee 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

My sister in law has been shunned by the family since she DA'd herself at the age of 18 and moved out of the house. I always insisted that my wife keep in contact with her and made sure she knew she had a soft place to land,with us, should she need it. Even at the risk of it getting us in hot water with the Pioneer,Elder,Bethelite family members there was no way we were going to let her disappear into the wild blue yonder on her own. The sister is in her 40's now and we too are out of the Org and the family realizes we have been in contact with her all these years. They have softened a bit and are somewhat ashamed about having gone this far with all this nonsense. Her behavior in this matter has been exemplary over the years. For some time though,she had been visited by the residual left over mind trips that former witnesses go throgh.

I'm in San Diego this week where she lives and told her about Beth Sarim, which for me was one of the straws that broke the camels back. She was very blown away by this bit of information...especially since she lives about 3miles from there. We hopped in my car and drove over there an I took a few photos of the place. I googled Beth Sarim on my ipad and we sat outside the mansion viewing old photos and deeds etc. We both agreed it was a strange thing to be sitting in front of a mansion that was once deeded to certain Bible characters and was once owned by the guy who led the religion that our parents centered their whole lives around without knowing any of this kind of history. She has her College degree and is quite successful in life in terms of being happy and well adjusted but I think she took a big step forward today in terms of her own personal growth.

• clarity
    clarity

Exwhyzee ... good for you, she must love you very much!

>

Surprising that most of us never knew about Beth Sarim & Beth Shan!

Sneaky bu**ers eh? That Rutherford just laid back and enjoyed himself!

Guards at the gate, house keepers, gardeners, cooks, chauffers for his fancy

cars, & at a time when the average person had nothing really.

(Great Depression)

>

Glad your SIL got to see it, wow 22yrs of being shunned!

Give her our love & support.

clarity

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Very cool. Best to you and your SIL.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I think that JWs who realy want to do a pilgrimage should not only visit bethel, but also places such as Beth-Sarim and the burial place of Charles Taze Russell.

I'm an active JW, and I know about theses things. In that sense, I feel empowered to the fact that I remain one ... for the time being ... in full knowledge of the context and everything around it.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I don't know why people care about this today. It is about as irrelevant as that football player's fake girlfriend.

It is something no one should care about.

When people are critical of JWs, it should be something real that they are critical of.

• designs
    designs

exwhyzee- I live in N San Diego County and go by every few years when I am in San Diego, great old mansion and the latest owners keep it in nice considtion. It is a good reminder of how our former religion played loose with peoples hearts minds and money.

Rattigan350- There are more pressing and current issues than Beth Sarim but it still counts, my grandparents were Bible Students who ended up siding with Rutherford during the splitup in the late 1920s. How things would have changed in my life if they had just given up on the whole Wt. thing back then.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I feel empowered to the fact that I remain one ... for the time being ... in full knowledge of the context and everything around it.

That is a very interesting perspective! Especially since you joined over FIVE YEARS AGO. Still remain a JW.

That's where I am right now as well, but it's been very difficult to hang in there, just for family and friends, when I know TTATT. (TOTAL BULLSHIT.)

Good luck with that.

Doc

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Great story, and it had a happy ending too, at least for you, your wife and your sister in law.

• under the radar
    under the radar

My hat's off to you, Sir. That's what Christian love is all about. Really, that kind of real love and concern for fellow human beings, especially family members, shouldn't be limited to the term "Christian." It transcends anything defined by any particular set of beliefs.

I hope to visit Beth Sarim one day myself. Purely for historical reasons, of course. The same reasons I'd love to discover the VIN numbers of those Cadillacs Rutherford had. It would be very interesting indeed to find out what happened to them. Hmmm...

Anyway, congratulations on caring for and about your sister-in-law all those years. I'm sure your little excursion to Beth Sarim was time well-spent and drew all of you a little closer.

• pontoon
    pontoon

Rattigan350 Beth Sarim becomes very important when the corporation in print or talks brags about their "rich SPIRITUAL heritage"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit