New Videos for Teens

by Christ Alone 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I'm not sure if anyone posted these or not, or even if these are new. I just saw them for the first time on the JW.org site. It looks like they are slowly building up their online material. It's pretty meager right now. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about these two.

The first is a somewhat clever whiteboard animation video called: Beating a bully without using your fists. I'll give credit where credit is due. This video has a good look and feel and may be helpful for 10 - 12 year olds. As much as it pains me to say, I think they've given some good info here. Although a short 3 min video is not going to completely equip a child to deal with a bully. And it does not acknowledge that there ARE times when you need to defend yourself. But besides that...I've gotta say they actually did a good job: http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/teenagers/whiteboard-animations/beat-a-bully-without-using-your-fists/

The other is a pretty useless video about using cell phones. If I would've watched this as a teen, I would've thought what dorks these kids were... And it really doesn't say anything profound or even usefull, IMO. http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/teenagers/what-your-peers-say/about-cell-phones/

I'd like to know what you all thought about these.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

"Excluding people is a form of bullying" PMSL that they do not see themselves as bullys and "fear can make you stop acting ike your true self"!

Shine a spotlight on their actions and where possible walk away.

All excellent advice in my view. Especially once you have discovered the WT is the biggest bully of them all!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Ha! Good point Amelia! I didn't even think of that when I was watching. The Watchtower is one of the biggest bullies ever!

• d
    d

Sometimes walking away from a bully is not so easy.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Sometimes walking away from a bully is not so easy.

Especially if your whole family and all your friends side with the bully

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

i dont think this advise would work today. but my old man always said, "dont ever start a fight or ill kick your ass. but if you are getting picked on, you better knock them out... or ill kick your ass." now, that is like felony, assault, ETC.ETC. and that is if you dont get shot the next day. jesus, im sorry to anyone with school aged children.

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

Wow, indeed the exclusion thing is right in their face. While browsing further I founerrogent/etd the awake article on bullying

http://www.jw.org/fr/la-bible-et-vous/familles/adolescents/jeunes-s-intre-harcele/ This is the French version. They actually use the term Exclusion. This was the former term used in french for disfellowshiping before they changed it to excommunication. (mid 2000ish ???)

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I was bullied in school. 7th grade, for me, was one of the worst years. The few times I ever defended myself I would get in trouble from my parents, even if someone else came up to me and punched me unprovoked. So in 7th grade I decided to take the approach largely outlined in the video. I would walk away, I would try to joke around with the bully, I talked to the guidance counselor about it as well. Nothing worked.

In 7th grade this guy named Jack had it out for me for some reason. It wasn't just teasing either. I sat in front of him in a few of my classes. He would take the eraser off his pencil, bite the metal piece that holds the eraser so it was sharp, and the flick me in the back of my head. Usually drawing blood. I begged my math teacher to sit somewhere else, telling him what was going on. He told me, "I've never seen him do anything to you..."

One day, after almost a year of this abuse, he set a pin into the eraser and flicked me with it. The pin stuck in my head. Finally, I saw red, stood up, and layed a haymaker directly into his nose. I felt it snap, and he flew back into some desks which also landed on his face. I was suspended...he got nothing. His parents threatened to sue mine for medical bills, which never happened. But that was the ONLY thing that stopped the bullying. He never messed with me again.

I'm not sure that I can recommend my actions. But nothing else worked... Of course, because I still refused to fight after that, I was bullied by others through my high school years. It was not much fun being me back then.

• d
    d

I was bulled too and once a class mate grabbed me by the arm and I threw him off me. He flew straight into a desk this was back in 2004. I hated school then.

• irondork
    irondork

Amelia Ashton: Especially if your whole family and all your friends side with ARE the bully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit