Jehovah witness's who still live at home

by d 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My male cousin never left home. When he was fifty, my aunt was so proud that he was still a virgin. My mom laughed so hard and remarked that she would be embarassed. I felt sorry for him. My uncle was an overseer so pressure was always on him to be perfect.

I don't see it as so bad. Money only goes so far. Wordly people living in Manhattan tend to stay in their parents' homes longer b/c of the very high rents. A younger woman in her twenties once apologized to me for living at home. I said anyone who has seen the apts available would never think she was wrong. It has been the norm, though, for worldly people to leave home. So much is cultural,though. Italian men live with their mothers until they marry.

Personally, I see leaving home as a major life accomplishment. It was hard for me. I begged my sister to get a share in an apt or house with roommates.

There are so many stories about children never leaving home. Parents want them out. One thing i've noticed is that young people seem to think that they should live as a 50 year old would, with vast amounts of cash. Rather than starting out small and moving up in the world.

Don't the Witnesses encourage living at home?

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

This was something that I noticed often...but i always thought of it as one of the few good things about the organization. you would have families with adult children getting together with other families with adult children, and everyone was friends....i have a few good memories surrounding those types of circumstances.....almost seems surreal now, because nobody gets along with anyone anymore. wives don't like their husbands, husbands don't like their wives, parents don't like their kids, uncles/grandparents? they may as well be distant acquaintances now.....

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Lack of higher education is unfortunately a reason why so many JW folks still live with their JW parents.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Only in the jw religon do you see peopl who are in their 30's and beyond who still live at home.

Well in my culture, it's common. Mexican kids never move out. In fact, when I did. My parents gave me greif. I was 19 and went to college. I used to joke that u never see Mexican homeless, because they never leave home. And moving into the converted garage doesn't count as moving out.

In all fairness, this economy has sent a lot of adult children back home

• Eustace
    Eustace

At least they haven't gotten married, had children, and still live at home.

Hey, what parent doesn't want grandchildren? What child wouldn't like having his or her grandparents nearby?

Also there's evidence I read about in the New Republic that it's better for people's health if their parents are younger when they're born.

• steve2
    steve2

This is not a perculiarly JW thing at all. In Asian cultures, for example, you remain at home with your parents until you marry. So,if you don't marry, you remain at home.

The concept of leaving home before marriage to go "flatting" with your unmarried peers is relatively recent in Western societies.

I know of several adult children in non-JW families who left home to set up house with their unmarried peers only to return home when they ran out of money. Parents can be seen as "very" valuable when your own money's tight. In other contexts, this would be seen as free-loading....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen too much of it while I was a witless. The problem is, they are not being assisted. Instead, they choose to stay together to help each other to pious-sneer. I have seen one family go from being relatively normal to having everyone regular pious-sneer while the whole family gravitates to the monster (joke-hova) at the center of the congregation. The children are now straddling 30 years of age, and working part time. Everyone is working part time to chip in so everyone can pious-sneer.

Problem is, what happens when the parents get quite old. Sooner or later, they are going to develop a health condition that will force them to retire. Having given up so much for the religion, there is no way they are going to afford that. The children will be in their 40s or early 50s, and still shamed into remaining regular pious-sneers instead of working full time or taking proper care of their now-aging parents. First, one parent dies. Then the other. And the children are going to be up sxxx creek without a paddle, in a barbed wire canoe. They never learned to live on their own, and now they are in their 50s or early 60s and forced. That, roughly 30 years in their future, is going to be when the stress is going to catch them. They will have wasted their whole lives pious-sneering instead of becoming independent, and they will be lacking a skill. Broke, they will be forced to work even more while paying down the debt from their parents' funerals. Ultimately, this stress, plus the stress of being hounded to pious-sneer, is going to do them in.

It's one thing when you stay with parents for reasons beyond your reasonable control. But to intentionally waste your life pious-sneering, you are never going to develop. And then you are going to die with a washtowel in one hand and a bookbag in the other, having never had the means to egress the religion. And you get reincarnated into yet another ultra-devout family of jokehovian witlesses in the next life, and it is even worse.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

My husband lived with his family all his life.. and guess what? he moved me into his moms house

I want to hang myself- seriously I do

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I have noticed in my husbands family that its like a commune. They all move in together to help someone pay for their house or car. My sister in law wants me, my husband, my MIL, my BIL, my SIL and all of the kids and spouses to move to a property and build a big house where they all live together and share the expenses. All of these things would be in my SIL's name, so she it would be in her name, her credit and she would get pay out when she sold it. I told them there is no way in hell I would join them in jonestown community. They do this even now. My husband lived with his sister until he was 33. He told me for his rent, which is a tiny bedroom, for 700 a month. He said he paid for his sisters car payments in return for rent. I then informed him that for the same price he could be living on his own. But he was glad he could help his sister. I'd be asking for that car he paid off. renting a room is not worth 700 bucks. They took him for a ride, and he cant even see it. They call it helping eachother out, but in reality it is just enabling eachother.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

Im sorry, my typing is horribler. My baby brother and his boyfriend had announced they got engaged in central park, NY. So we had a big party and now Im soo happy drunk and now I wanna talk shit about backwards JW's. I rreally hate their beliefs. They told me I should never talk to brother again because he chooses to disobey god.So my bro said, ayou know the scripture where it says any man that lays with man should be stoned..yes, I say, its a dumb scripture... he says, no its not, because me and brad layed down together and got stoned. I died laughing, right on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit