Book of Mormon the musical

by Tiktaalik 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, a friend already saw it. He laughed at the irony of the audience. They were laughing at/ talking about the Mormons afterwards, but the vast majority of them were Catholics and Protestants who can't see the same about the Virgin birth and talking snakes and the likes of their own religion.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Is it good enough to be staged in other countries ? A world tour ? Here in australia for example ?

smiddy

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Saw it a few months ago at the Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles. A great show with a little extra meaning for JWs. Hilarious and thought-provoking - totally recommended.

"I believe that God has a plan for all of us

And I believe that plan involves us having our own planet"

"And I believe that in 1978

God changed his mind about black people."

Perhaps why Romney lost the election?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Qcumber, are you brave enough to watch a musical that showcases how the rest of the world perceives your religion?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Of course - I hope you know I'm an atheist now who no longer attends. I'm fascinated by religion and Mormonism because it had such a stranglehold on me and was able to alter how I saw the world. Also as an ex member( technically I'm still on the books) I know when the perception of Mormonism by non-Mormons misses context or goes wildly overboard and so every now and then I'll share a view from inside the Mormon curtain.AMA.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Qcmbr, you're not a Mormon anymore??!! Good for you! And an atheist, too! -- Congratulations. <---- I guess you can drink one of these now. I'll raise a glass to toast you tomorrow (it's almost 2am here).

But now I'll have to find someone else to make snarky comments about.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

It's interesting how this musical has particular meaning to us cult survivors (JW, Mormon, etc.). I wonder how others see it. Obviously they enjoy it, but I"m sure most people really don't get why it's as funny as it is.

I had a weird thought - without having been in an insane cult, we would not have things like this Broadway musical, or Mr. Diety, or all Processor's Witchtower stuff (http://www.svhelden.info/witchtower/). Humour and satire has helped us survive.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

mamochan13: I had a weird thought - without having been in an insane cult, we would not have things like this Broadway musical, or Mr. Diety, or all Processor's Witchtower stuff (http://www.svhelden.info/witchtower/). Humour and satire has helped us survive.

Yeah, a Broadway play and a few web sites make all those years of being braindead dubs worthwhile.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I am only a handful of weeks from seeing this now. I am torn whether to watch the video clips or not, I don't want to ruin the experience.

zed

• 88JM
    88JM

Any Brits watching the Culture Show on BBC1 just now? Alan Yentob talking to Mormons about their work and reaction to the musical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit