Howdy from Winnipeg

by HymieAli 15 Replies latest jw friends

• HymieAli
    HymieAli

Hello everyone.

I grew up in the Dauphin, MB congregation. Spent a couple years in my teens in the Melita, MB one as well.

Left 20 or so years ago and never been back. Now I live in Winnipeg.

I imagine my story is typical. Unable to play too much with "worldly" kids I started reading. A lot.

I think I mentally dissasociated myself when I was a young lad after reading the big purple (or blue, not sure I am color blind). Thinking it was the "Aid To Bible Understanding".

I remember sitting with that book and another concordance along with random bibles (and most of the scince fiction) they had at the library. (hey I never claimed to be normal!)

A lot of reading and comparing lead to questions, questions lead to..well you can imagine how well it went.

I shall shorten the story to fond memories of books and toys being burned (due to demons naturally), many a week or two being grounded and a casual interest in science and comparative relgion.

Since leaving I have kept myself amused with various things, school, work and life in general for the most part.

I have often wondered what happened to some of the old gang I grew up with.

Figured if I posted on here sooner or later one or two would pop up and if anyone is in the Winnipeg area, I am always up for coffee!

I tend to be fairly busy between a couple jobs and school, so I may take a lil while to get back to pm's.

Safe travels one and all

Hymie Ali

• clarity
    clarity

Hymie .... you'll fit in ...here.

Big welcome to you.

What are your plans for your future? now that

you know you are going to have one!

clarity

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome HymieAli from So.Cal.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

HymieAll and Wife,

Welcome to you Both!

Just Lois

PS The Aid book, would be the big blue one on the shelf. lol

• HymieAli
    HymieAli

:)

Thanks for the welcome!

My future started 20 years ago :) Once I left I didnt really look back at all.

I did a short time in the army, got into the computer field (something else I kept from childhood) and kept learning about various faiths/beliefs/paths.

After enough of that, I stuck to things that made sence in my mind, ending up with 17 years of random courses (mostly covered by work).

Currently I am IT geek by day and do a little specialized therapuedic work on the side.

All in all its been a pretty great run up the ole hill of life.

• BorgHater
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Welcome HymieAli.

You mentioned the 'Aid To Bible Understanding'. I remember that 'blue' book too. As I recall Raymond Franz was a major player in putting that book together. Soon after Raymond Franz was D'fd the 'Aid' book was trashed (literally) and replaced with what are now called Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of 'Insight On The Scriptures'. The 'Insight' books (as the average JW refers them to) have been in use for about 25 years.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Welcome nice to meet you

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

Hello, Nice to meet you. Fairly new myself and have found this to be a very friendly and informative site. I also found (non-jw) books to be a great escape growing up in such a suffocating environment. Take care :)

• tec
    tec

Welcome Hymie.

Fellow Canadian here, but a bit too far for coffee.

Love your hat ;)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit