WTBTS and the Red Cross?

by The Song Remains The Same 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Song Remains The Same
    The Song Remains The Same

Hi all, I'm new but have read an awful lot here plus JWfacts and JWsurvey over the past months, also the CoC book.

I'm not a JW (and never will be) but have a wife who is a 'want-to-be' JW. This is quite a challenge for me as I already had an idea on some of the points JWs stick to, but now with everything I have learned about the high-control methods, the changing doctrines, and the cover-ups, it's a real concern...

Anyway, I was putting forward the notion that JW's don't help anyone in disaster zones, except JWs, or by giving out WT tracts or magazines (which would be really useful to homeless, hungry and cold families). She didn't know, and doubted it, so I told her to ask an elder if the WT provides assistance at all anywhere.

She reported back that the elder said the WT DOES contribute to the Red Cross. I was a bit surprised, so did a few searches and can't find anything to back that up. So maybe she misunderstood (that a JW can donate on a personal level, if that, rather than the WT itself or a KH?) but she was clear that he told her the WT donates to the Red Cross and thus provides assistance...

So, can anyone clarify for me the relationship that the WTBTS has with the Red Cross?

Thanks!
    TSRTS

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I too was told that WTBT$ donates to the Red Cross. I was told they donated to Amnesty International as well.

I have my doubts that either is true but I am sure some-one here will be able to put us both straight.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

I've been a JW my entire life [49 yrs] and the only information I can find is that they donate only to their OWN organizations and corporations. They do absolutely nothing to help others in the world. After Katrina, down South. I had a friend of mine donate his time to go down and help fellow JW's clean and fix their homes. He was working on a JW crew that would clean mold out of JW's homes. He heard personally on several occasions that when the crews were done with the brother's homes. The supervisor would tell the homeowner. "Now if we were a 'worldly' business we would have charged you $XX,XXX for the work we did. But since the WTB$ is doing this voluntarily and free of charge, all we ask is that when you get your insurance money, consider donating it to the organization." He also said that almost ALL material was donated by someone ELSE and brothers like him had to pay for all their own expenses. He ended up with a horrible lung fungus that almost killed him. He had to go back home and the elders critisized HIM for missing meetings!

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL , doin' so would be against everything they taught on Abstainin' from Blood

In the chapter Jehovah's Witnesses in the Reasoning book they explain that they

don't get involved wit charities

They say when a Jehovah's Witnesses pay their personal taxes

and conduct a bible study is all that's need to make the world bright

• sir82
    sir82

I've never heard that before.

From the WTS doctrinal position, the Red Cross is a "worldly" organization, and the "whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one", therefore the Red Cross is an evil demonic organization under Satan's direct control.

• wasblind
    wasblind

How can Jehovah's visible organization in our day be identified ?

( 4 ) It keeps separate from the world_______Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 283

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If she is convinced, have her write to the Society and ask if it's true. Or you can do so. Say you are stumbled with the conflict that makes on the issue of blood transfusions. How can they condemn blood transfusions and contribute to the Red Cross? I would think this is an easy one to get an absolute answer on, and be sure to drop that elder's name in the letter.

Frankly, I truly believe the WTS involvement into the Disaster Relief "business" is because it has proved to be just that -- a money making business from insurance proceeds, although I think the international relief they do is probably charitable vs. profitable. I know of many who have made trips to Jamaica or Haiti to rebuild after hurricanes and I'm sure there is no insurance money to motivate them in those places.

Doc

• blondie
    blondie

The Red Cross also handles blood donations against WTS policy for members to even donate blood.

I have known of jws that accept money, and supplies from the RC but do not donate. Anything in writing by the WTS that they donate to the RC?

• james_woods
    james_woods

I would think that the "cross" emblem of the Red Cross would be enough just of itself to scare away the JW organization.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS subtly discourages giving to any charities highlighting any flaws and not mentioning the good they do. Notice that the Red Cross board corrected the reported problem and person. Any thinking person knows to check out the record of the charity. I think the record of the Red Cross speaks for itself in spite of some flaws. Notice how they WTS also says giving someone a "spiritual gift" is better, somehow I don't think Jesus had in mind the WT or other WT publications.

http://charityreports.give.org/Public/Report.aspx?CharityID=679

g028/22p.28WatchingtheWorld***/RedCrossCalledtoTask

Shortly following the September 11 attacks, the American Red Cross was on the scene, soliciting donations of cash and blood. Some $850 million in cash was given, and 400,000 units of blood collected. While collections were quick, disbursements were not. "The American Red Cross was slow to distribute relief funds to the families affected by the attacks," states TheWashingtonTimes. "Relief funds were being used for programs unrelated to September 11," and a large share was slated for "long-term needs, such as [a] blood-freezing program, counseling, and future attacks." With little need for the blood collected and its 42-day shelf life over, the blood "is useless and must be burned," the article says. The news media reported that the Red Cross board, beset by heavy criticism, forced out its president and announced at the end of January 2002 that 90 percent of the funds gathered will go to victims of the disaster by September 11, 2002.

***w036/1pp.3-4WhatIsHappeningtoCharity?***

AFTER the attacks of September 11, 2001, in New York City and Washington, D.C., public support for the victims of the tragedy was remarkable. Charities were overwhelmed by $2.7 billion in donations to help care for the victims’ families. Shocked by the extent of the devastation, people everywhere wanted to help.

The mood of some of the public quickly soured, however, when allegations surfaced that prominent charities were misappropriating funds. There was a flood of outrage at the report that one large charity planned to hold back nearly half of the $546 million it received and use it for other purposes. Although the organization later reversed its decision and apologized, one reporter observed: "Critics see this new turn of events as a day late and a dollar short to restore the trust" enjoyed before the attacks. How about you? Has your trust in charity been shaken lately?

Useful orWasteful?

Giving to charity is generally considered to be a virtue. Yet, not everyone sees it that way. Over 200 years ago, Samuel Johnson, the English essayist, wrote: "You are much surer that you are doing good when you pay money to those who work, as the recompense of their labour, than when you give money merely in charity." Some today have similar reservations, and reports of charitable organizations that are mishandling or mismanaging donations do little to bolster public confidence. Consider two recent examples.

A director of a religious charity in San Francisco was dismissed after allegedly billing his agency for his cosmetic surgery and for his $500-per-week restaurant bills over a period of two years. In Britain, organizers of a major television charity event were embarrassed when it was discovered that out of 6.5 million pounds (about $10 million, U.S.) sent in to help build new orphanages in Romania, only 12 substandard houses were ever built, and hundreds of thousands of dollars went unaccounted for. Negative reports like these have rightly caused some donors to become more cautious about how much they contribute and to whom.ToGiveorNottoGive

It would be a shame, however, to allow the actions of a few individuals or organizations to squelch our genuine concern and compassion for others. The Bible says: "The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation." (James 1:27) Yes, active concern for the poor and disadvantaged is an integral part of Christianity.

Still, you might wonder, ‘Should I continue to give to charity, or should I simply try to help by personal gifts to individuals?’ What kind of giving does God expect? The following article will discuss these questions.

*** w036/1p.7GivingThatPleasesGod***

When it comes to organized charity, though, we need to be cautious as we evaluate the many appeals we receive. Some charities have high administrative or fund-raising costs, leaving only a small portion of the collected money for the intended purpose. Proverbs 14:15 says: "Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps." So it is the course of wisdom to examine the facts carefully.

GivingThatDoestheMostGood

There is a kind of giving that is even more important than charity. Jesus alluded to this when a rich young ruler asked what he had to do to get everlasting life. Jesus told him: "Go sell your belongings and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower." (Matthew 19:16-22) Notice that Jesus did not just say, ‘Give to the poor and you will get life.’ Instead, he added, "Come be my follower." In other words, as commendable and beneficial as charitable acts are, Christian discipleship involves more.

Jesus’ chief interest was in helping others spiritually. Shortly before his death, he told Pilate: "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth." (John 18:37) While he took the lead in helping the poor, healing the sick, and feeding the hungry, Jesus primarily trained his disciples to preach. (Matthew 10:7, 8) In fact, among his final instructions to them was the command: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations."—Matthew 28:19, 20.

Of course, preaching will not solve all the world’s problems. Yet, sharing the good news of God’s Kingdom with all sorts of people glorifies God because preaching accomplishes God’s will and opens the way to everlasting benefits for those who accept the divine message. (John 17:3; 1 Timothy 2:3, 4) Why not listen to what Jehovah’s Witnesses have to say the next time they call? They come with a spiritual gift.And they know that this is the best way that they can give to you.

*** g936/8pp.26-27CharitableContributions—AChristianObligation?***

Give, yes; but beware! We are regularly bombarded by charities, religions, and annual community-service campaigns; most make compelling appeals. However, in evaluating them it is good to remember the Bible proverb: "Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps." (Proverbs 14:15) In other words, beware of accepting the claims or promises of charities at face value. How is the collected money really used? Are the organizations funded those that a Christian should support? Are their activities political, nationalistic, or connected with false religion? Is the avowed purpose practical and not in conflict with Scriptural principles?

Some charities are able to do much good for people in need. When affected by natural disasters or catastrophic illness, many times Christians themselves have received benefits from such charities. Other charities, though, have high administrative costs or high fund-raising costs, with the result that only a small portion of the money collected is actually used for the advertised purpose. For example, a recent survey of 117 of the United States’ largest nonprofit organizations, including charities, found that more than a quarter of them pay their top executives a yearly salary of $200,000 or more. Audits often reveal expenditures for luxury items and the financing of an opulent life-style. Regardless of the name of the charity, it would take a long stretch of the imagination to believe that contributing to such schemes would fulfill the Bible’s command to help those in need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit