Should Jehovah's Witnesses be added to the Wikipedia article on Doomsday Cults?

by jwfacts 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

About the 13th century the term "Jehovah" appeared when Christian scholars took the consonants of "Yahweh" and pronounced it with the vowels of "Adonai." This resulted in the sound "Yahowah," which has a Latinized spelling of "Jehovah." The first recorded use of this spelling was made by a Spanish Dominican monk, Raymundus Martini, in 1270.

Interestingly, this fact is admitted in much Jehovah's Witness literature, such as their Aid to Bible Understanding (p. 885).

Hello Newly Enlightened thanks for the link. It would be counterintuitive to resurrect an official name for God that was allowed by God to fade into time. The Jews didn't want to misuse the Tetragrammaton as it would be against the commandment to not take the Lord's name in vain. This is where an interesting dichotomy of religious philosophy arises. Was it the will of God to allow the name to fade in time, as in losing it's original meaning and pronunciation? Why use it at all in the first place? I believe the answer is in the story of the burning bush where Moses gathers specific information from the Entity he is interacting with. He lived in a world with many named gods so he made sure to get a personal identication when he had the chance. He was an ambitious fellow. God however, gives the cryptic response of "I AM." This, to me, helps explain the mystery to WHY the early Jews phased out the Tetragrammaton of their worship and rituals. Some Christian's might want to believe that God changed sides, which was never the case. God is always on the side of righteousness.

It seems apparent that this choice to phase out the name was then used by liars to their own advantage. It was so called Christian scholars that "did their best" to retranslate. However, the fact that an actual Hebrew word prenounced "hovah" exists and means "ruin; disaster" and is only found twice in the whole Hebrew Bible makes this explanation highly suspect as fraudulent. Taking "hovah" and putting a "yah" in front of it could be passed of as if "Adonai" was being used to transliterate. It's quite the coincidence that the transliteration phonetically describes "Lord of Doom" in Hebrew. I would say that was by design and proves to be a massive deception that spans across many generations. Now we have religions strewn about the planet using this name which would serve as the perfect form of mass blasphemy to the One True God. Cunning, indeed. It's no wonder the Watchtower insists on using this name. It's an accursed fabrication designed for mass blasphemy.

-Sab

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

Hi - I'm new here - but just so you know, anyone can go into that article and edit it. They just ask that you reference on the bottom if you use any quotes from articles, interviews etc. So if one of our scholars wants to add JW as a cult to the mix, just hit edit. You will get a page that you can add in your material and you can preview it before you post it.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Let me check.

Yep. Doomsday cult.

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

kurtbethal:

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

kurtbethel, are those from the new "Raising Fear Strichen Children" book? Do Bethel artist get off on these UFO Invasion of the Earth conceptions? They have real sick issues of wanting to see so much blood and death. Doomsday Cult, you have my vote!

• erbie
    erbie

No.

They are doomsday C?$

Sorry, it just popped into my head

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

just make sure to discuss this on the WP discussion page before making any modifications.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Possible wording?

Jehovah's Witnesses have "prophesied" numerous dates for doomsday (list and refer to JWfacts).

Jehovah's Witnesses meet the following criteria for a cult as outlined by Steven Hassan:

BITE model, and

Prospective members are discouraged from talking to former members.

Existing members are prohibited from talking to former members.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hi - I'm new here - but just so you know, anyone can go into that article and edit it. They just ask that you reference on the bottom if you use any quotes from articles, interviews etc.______Fading Begins

Welcome fading begins,

As others have pointed out, The WTS describe themselves through their literature

Jehovah's Witnesses

What beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses set them apart as different from other religions?

( 8 ) Last days: They believe that we are living now, scince 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world."______Reasoning from the Scriptures page 200

" The " generation " that was alive at the begining of fullfilment of the sign in 1914 is now well along in years. The time remaing must be very short. World conditions give every indication that this is the case."_________Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 239

Many religions believe that we are livin' in the last days,

As we are aware. unlike doomsday cults, they do not set a date

based on the words of the Christ. That No one knows, only the Father

It is a known fact to all here, the words destroyed and destuction are key words to make converts in this religion

Finklestein and Kurt Bethel pics are worth a thousand words

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yes they should

but as fast as you may add them, they will take it down too.

Oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit