Biblical Support for Judicial Committee?

by nolongerconfused 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The old Jewish system had it all done out in the open by the Elders at the city gate, not by some furtive perverts in a back room with no record of what they said .

The story of Susannah turns on this very point, the proceedings were public and the "elders" could be questioned and witnesses cross-examined by others.

As the story goes, a fair Hebrew wife named Susanna was falsely accused by lecherous voyeurs. As she bathes in her garden, having sent her attendants away, two lustful elders secretly observe the lovely Susanna. When she makes her way back to her house, they accost her, threatening to claim that she was meeting a young man in the garden unless she agrees to have sex with them.

She refuses to be blackmailed and is arrested and about to be put to death for promiscuity when a young man named Daniel interrupts the proceedings, shouting that the elders should be questioned to prevent the death of an innocent. After being separated, the two men are questioned about details (cross-examination) of what they saw but disagree about the tree under which Susanna supposedly met her lover. In the Greek text, the names of the trees cited by the elders form puns with the sentence given by Daniel. The first says they were under a mastic (υπο σχινον, hupo schinon), and Daniel says that an angel stands ready to cut (σχισει, schisei) him in two. The second says they were under an evergreen oak tree (υπο πρινον, hupo prinon), and Daniel says that an angel stands ready to saw (πρισαι, prisai) him in two. The great difference in size between a mastic and an oak makes the elders' lie plain to all the observers. The false accusers are put to death, and virtue triumphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanna_%28Book_of_Daniel%29

• AGuest
    AGuest

I like Paul's take, dear NLC (peace to you!), taken right from the NWT:

"Now to me it is a very trivial matter that I should be examined by ? YOU ? or by a human tribunal. Even I do not examine myself. For I am notconscious of anything against myself. Yet by this I am not proved righteous, but he that examines me is JaHVeH. Hence do not judge anything before the due time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring the secret things of darkness to light and make the counsels of the hearts manifest, and then each one will have his praise come to him from God." 1 Corinthians 4:3-5

It was one of the last set of verses I shared with the "judges" sitting on my "tribunal." Of course, they didn't like that I did so. They wanted one more meeting (number 15)... and I declined. My actual last words were somewhere along the lines of, "I have nothing else to share with you, so do what you feel you need to. I will leave it up to 'Jehovah'."

They have no scriptural OR biblical grounds for their tribunals, dear one. They cite Leviticus 5:1... but that's Old Law stuff... and what Israel was SUPPOSED to surpass... with love... rather than worrying about the one who transgressed.

I hope this helps.

Peace to you!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit