Biblical Support for Judicial Committee?

by nolongerconfused 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

That is my question...anyone ever investigated this?....because I sure have not read anything in the Bible that even hints on a congregation having judicial committee procedures...has anyone had any experience with this topic?

• minimus
    minimus

there is no biblical support for JC's. No scripture has this arrangement. They somewhat borrowed it from the Jewish court system and added a few more rules. lol

• Tater-T
  • XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

No basis for it and no precedent set forth in scripture detailing it at all. I think its just a way to weed out honest hearted dissenters i.e. apostates.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The old Jewish system had it all done out in the open by the Elders at the city gate, not by some furtive perverts in a back room with no record of what they said .

There is not evewn any biblical support for the Shunning that they do, and the DFing is only to be used in really dire circumstances, as shown by Paulo in Corinthians.

Having said that, why anyone or any group should wish to run their affairs based on the morality of the slave owning mysogynistic 1st century "Christians" is beyond me.

But if you claim to, for goodness sake get it right , WT and Others.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The NT scriptures are all about direct confrontation and reconciliation. Don't involve third parties at all.

In Matthew 5.23–24, Jesus says: “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.”

(Mat 18:15-16) "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’"

• 00DAD
  • Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

NONE. I realized this the first time I was chairman of a DF committee....err I mean a judicial committee. You're sposed to open the trial with a scripture or two to set the stage for why the person has been called to meet behind closed doors with 3 elders and they didn't ask for spiritual healing. I had to make up some stuff (surprised I'm sure) for why we had the person hostage to our interrogation. It's really sick when you think about it.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Why it's right here in Matthew 18:17, as cited in the 1980 Awake:

*** g80 10/22 p. 23 A Way to Settle Disputes ***

“If he [the offending party] does not listen even to the congregation [through its judicial committee], let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.”—Matt. 18:17.

Aren't brackets wonderful?

• Eustace
    Eustace

Why it's right here in Matthew 18:17, as cited in the 1980 Awake:

That's unbelievable. I checked the Watchtower library and they indeed did add those brackets to the Bible.

(Revelation 22:18, 19) 18 “I am bearing witness to everyone that hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit