Obama's speech writers used the strawman fallacies yesterday

by moshe 52 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Seems they liked using that fallacy a lot--

President Obama has an, at times, well-deserved reputation for delivering his speeches well. Certainly, the president made an impression today when he delivered his second inaugural address calling for a bolder, more expansive government that would be committed increasingly to the principles of liberalism, with characteristic soaring rhetoric.

Unfortunately, another characteristic was also in evidence in Obama's speech: namely, his tendency to argue against positions that nobody holds (and by extension, to mischaracterize his opponents' views so as to make them easier to argue against). In logic, this unfortunate tendency is referred to as a "straw man fallacy" and it was well-worn in President Obama's speech today - so well-worn that at times, he seemed to cough up a new straw man fallacy with every sentence. How many of these arguments in bad faith did the President use? Read on as we list each one and explain their fallacious nature.

-http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/21/can-you-guess-how-many-straw-man-arguments-were-in-obamas-speech/

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

the guy who wrote the article stated "there are no mainstream political figures who believe that gays should be unequal before the law".

LOL

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow Moshe , He got you on that one

One straw for another ain't it ?????

• moshe
    moshe

So, just what mainstream political figure says gays should be unequal when they go into a court of law and have to be tried by the laws in force at that time?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think Obama's speech was more about him creating figurative metaphors to strengthen his ideological thoughts and ideals,

not so much creating strawman fallacies to create a position on suggestioned topics.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I loved the speech. I'm very impressed. I am so glad he has lost his timidity and is going to stand against the extreme conservatives who are hellbent on destroying any kind of quality of life for the middle class and poor. And I'll add to that list women, gays, minorities and immigrants. Down with the meaness of the Tea Party and religious right. I am a firm believer in God, but I am very against the ultra conservative, freedom quashing, women hating, abusive (religious-wise) far right. The speech pointed out that every American deserves opportunity, not just super wealthy white men.

• wasblind
    wasblind

So, just what mainstream political figure says gays should be unequal when they go into a court of law and have to be tried by the laws in force at that time?______Moshe

Shouldn't that include both the left and the right who abide by the laws in place

until the law is changed to say other wise?

I don't know what case you refer to so I'm at a loss

Or are you sayin' that there are no main stream political figures that says gay should be unequal in a court of law

Jus' reachin' for clarity Moshe so I won't miss read what you are sayin'

• wasblind
    wasblind

I have to disagree there Moshe if it's the latter.

There are indeed mainstream political figures that

vote against gay rights. There are still some rights

that are not recogized in a court of law concernin' gays

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

FlyingHighNow

The speech pointed out that every American deserves opportunity, not just super wealthy white men.

Looking back at the Republican convention, where hardly any afro-Americans or Latinos where present you can see

what demographics that political parity has consumed.

After listening to the speech concerning the disadvantaged minorities, will Obama's political initiatives have any positive effects

to improve the living conditions for these people. Its easy to express empathy and compassion, its something quite different

to create something really positive in actuality. Politicians are known to make inspired proclamations for improvement

but fall short of accomplishing anything because their political strategies were ineffective toward their intent.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Finkel, Obama has started health care reform, helped protect middle class taxpayers, so I believe, if he can get around the republican obstructionists, he will do everything he can to begin and make big changes to protect all Americans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit