Top Ten most SHOPLIFTED items?

by Terry 38 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

The more prices rise, and wages are insufficient to live on, more people will turn to the "five finger discount". It's a sad state of affairs.

I know that around here, some of the products that are kept behind the counter are razors and razor-blades (damn, they are expensive!), and infant formulas. I think a lot of people are shoplifting nowadays because they just can't afford to live on what they make.

It's sad ....

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Jgnat,,, I see 'diabetic testing strips' near the top of your list.................. :'(

this is a life-or-death matter,,,,,,,,, they should be free.

xo

tal

• jgnat
    jgnat

Talesin, if it makes you feel better, I simply put Terry's list in a table. It's not prioritized. I note that my testing strips have gold in them. From a quick google search, it also contains an enzyme and a mediator.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

jgnat, I would toss energy drinks in with the addiction category. Electric toothbrushes are expensive and so are replacement parts. Same with razor blades for shaving.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I would think that cosmetics would be high on the list, since women can pull one out of the case and put it in their arsenal!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it's amazing that someone did not come up with a cheaper way of diabetics to check themselves!!!

off topic, but the other day I was shopping for toner in a laser printer............... found a new laser printer for the same price as the toner!!!!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

They do steal makeup etc Cheech. I twice got home with an item that had been sealed up only to find it completely empty inside. As for allergy medicine - I can get it here right off the shelf no problem but when we were in the midwest last time and had to pick some up, we felt like criminals when we had to stand in line and ask the pharmacist behind the counter for a box. Then show photo identification and then get restricted to one package and eyeballed....

I think the economy has a lot to do with some people stealing these things - last year it was diapers and laundry soap - the thieves would steal it and then resell it on the very cheap to people on the street - they made a mint off of it and the consumer was mighty happy at the savings...

Here is some info from a few years back on baby formula - sammieswife

he Food Marketing Institute, maintains a list ofthe 50 most shoplifted items. While the number one most shoplifted item is a 50 count packet of Advil, Similac makes the list three times. A case of Similac with Iron formula ranks #7on the top 50 most shoplifted items while a single can of Similac with iron ranks number #8. Similac concentrate with iron ranks number 21 on the list.

One question that would surely arise would be why are all of these people stealing infant formula. Is this infant formula being used for infants? The answer is yes and no. There is a black market out there for infant formula. The item can be stolen and sold to a mom in need for half the retail price. This does happen but it is not the most common use.

Infant formula is often used in the drug world. Drug dealers use powdered baby formula to cut the strength of cocaine and heroin. According to a recent article in Chicago's Journal Standard, "the popular powdered baby formula is primarily used in the drug world to dilute heroin and methamphetamine or to stretch the product when supplies run low." Special Agent Joanna Zoltay states that, "The consistency and the way it looks is what makes it a good cutting agent," Zoltay said. Infant formula is non-toxic and relatively safe to cut with any number of drugs.

The DEA also had a case several years ago where street gangs in Chicago were using baby formula containers to conceal illegal drugs, she added.

• talesin
    talesin

jgnat, those testing strips are hella expensive (for the poor who have no insurance) ... I have a friend whose husband was withholding money to buy them (she has gotten out of the situation recently) ... but because she had no insurance and he was abusive in that way (ie, withholding the money for her insulin and test strips), she now has serious foot problems (it makes me SO ANGRY, because he is rich and was using that to control her). But I can understand why people would steal those.

tal

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

off topic, but the other day I was shopping for toner in a laser printer............... found a new laser printer for the same price as the toner!!!!

Printer ink is about $5544 per litre !

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Yea, a couple of months ago I heard on the radio news that TIDE was being stolen in epideminc proportions!!!

In 1986, when I was working in a supermaket, the big stolen items (employee theft) was anti-freeze!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit