How to fight biblical ignorance??

by srd 16 Replies latest jw friends

• srd
    srd

Thanks for the support all!

@PSacramento. "my opinion" ?? No. This is exactly what I'm aiming not to do. My opinion, beliefs, as yours, are secondary to irrelevant in the project I'm envisioning. It's all about the text, and specifically what the text tells us about the compositional nature of the Bible, who wrote it, to whom, and why, etc. Certainly with respect to these questions there is room for educated hypotheses, opinions. But the task of simply displaying the textual data --- here contradictions --- is an objective endeavor. Yes, we might quibble of the words "contradiction" but nearly 99% of the Bible's contradictions are the result of later editors having stitched together two variant textual traditions, each with their own beliefs, worldviews, etc.

Today, I started posting the "contradictions" between the Priestly writer's version of the Abraham story and the earlier Yahwist version, and why and how the Priestly writer modified the ealier Yahwist text. The conclusion that I draw at the end of this post is a good example of the questions and sort of discussion that examining the Bible's contradictions ought to lead us to.

@leolaia. Thanks for the encouragement. I highly respect your level of knowledge in these matters.

cheers

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Just discovered this site tonight, and spent way too much time reading it when I should have been doing other things. Quite a lot of work there! I'm only a little acquainted with the Documentary Hypothesis and related exegesis, but just as I was worried about being in over my head, I noticed you've got articles on the details of the J, E, P, D, etc. sources, which is very helpful to someone like me who is just learning how to see the Bible as something other than the inerrant, direct word of God. Looking forward to seeing what sort of material you have planned!

• srd
    srd

Apog,

Thanks for the support. Yea the material is pretty dense and maybe too scholarly in its tone. I've been trying to tone it down in more recent posts. Please leave a comment on the site since I'm desperately trying to get some dialogue going on over there. Tired of looking at 0 comments today. :(

I'd be very curious to know what type of problems or conflicts you might have with what I'm doing giving your background, and secondly how to reach more people like yourself. Again, converse with me at the blog.

• talesin
    talesin

This is a great idea, and a lot of work put into it. I was going to say remember the KISS model, but see by your last comment that you are toning it down.

Good on ya!

and welcome to the board.

:))

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

A person after my own heart. In my life I have found more faith by questioning Biblical text.

Welcome. I am rushed but I look forward to reading your blog.

I wonder if it work if we studied someting at the same time and interacted about our views, feelings, etc.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

srd,

I definitely had some questions come to mind while reading, as well as some possible counterpoints, so if you're looking for comments and dialogue, I can certainly provide those (I do essentially agree with what I've read so far). Unfortunately I have a project that I need to wrap up in the next few days, but after that I'll have the time to do some research and leave comments.

• srd
    srd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit