not seeing the forest for the trees

by El_Guapo 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• El_Guapo
    El_Guapo

You know the funny thing is that this elder (older white brother-big wig at work type of fellow) had car trouble with his daughters car once and who did he call? Of course the Spanish brother who was dishwasher. The elder later told me that his timing belt busted and the Spanish bro changed the timing belt and water pump and didn't want to charge the elder he just told him "whatever you want to give me brother, is fine. Jah will bless me many times over." The elder ended up giving him $75.00 WOW!!!! (If you know even a little about cars you know that this is a VERY expensive job)

Talk about taking advantage of the flock!

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Talk about taking advantage of the flock!

The 'JW discount' is always assumed for some reason. Far be it from you to pay the same price for a service as everyone else does.

--sd-7

• man oh man
    man oh man

can't see the forest for the "mind control". lol

• clarity
    clarity

When you get out....

that's when the crap blows back in your face for sure! lol

Till then you just go along ....

>

We were told not to contribute any money to United Way or

other helping organizations because ............then the

government won't be bothered to help people, if we do it!

>

Really, so just let your neighbor starve and send that money

into the watchtower ... god needs it!

clarity

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This is something that has been upsetting me for some time. After all, doesn't James 1:27 says that " Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."

To claim that our bible instruction helps people to live better lives is only a tiny bit of truth, but we should do so much more to help others. Even if we cannot help the entire community around us, at least be more effective and proactive in helping the members of the congregation.

While there are indeed people who attend religious services only with the purpose of benefiting from their charity (and I find it very questionable), it shouldn't be so hard to determine who are the ones who have real needs and actually help them.

Eden

• designs
    designs

El_Guapo, that situation sadly happened way to often. Staring a practical problem in the face and walking away.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Interestingly the churches of "Christendom" do far more in helping those in financial need. They usually have funds set up to help those that fall on hard times. They will pay for electric bills, hospital bills, etc...

I wonder why Jehovah's organization couldn't care less, while Christendom does...

Perhaps this explains why.

James 1:27

English Standard Version (ESV)

27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit