Think the cold has highlighted problem with hip joints??

by Lozhasleft 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes Char, I hope so too. I already suffer with Fibromyalgia, this has been at another level.

Loz x

• AGuest
    AGuest

Hola, dear Loz (peace to you!). I have suffered from similar in my bones and joints since my mid-20's but for me it's not cold: it's dampness and/or barometric "drops"! LORDY!! I can feel both (rain "coming" and the change in pressure) in my joints/bones about 2-3 days out (before the rain/cold "hits" where I actually am). And yeah, talk about pain. No words, sometimes. Bad "toothache" comes close. Unfortunately, I can't take NSAIDS (even aspirin) or most narcotics... and I'm terrified of the one I finally COULD take (Oxycontin, which felt too dang good... so I did NOT renew that prescript -LOLOL!).

I'm with others: dress warmly... and for me... tights and spandex-type garments are a GREAT way to do that! The bottoms come in all lengths (foot, ankle, calf, thigh)... and the tops in everything from long-sleeved to sleeveless with spaghetti straps! I wear such under almost everything, almost every day... even whatever: trouser, jeans, skirts, dresses! And if I get too warm, I can always take something off... and still be dressed!

The material can all but make you sweat at times, and so my bones and joints manage to stay quite warm for the most part. Not always, because the onset of dampness/barometric change doesn't pay any mind to what you're wearing, but I manage to stay relatively warm and bones/joints a lot less painful when I do!

Warmth is good, dear one... especially when you starting getting closer to that "achy" age. If you have a pre-existing condition AND are getting to that age... WHOA!

There are also some joint supplements out there that might help (glucosomine/chondroitan, etc.). Unfortunately, they do nothing for me, so I'm sticking with my spandex!

Stay warm and dry, dear one... and again, peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have severe arthritis. There is not a direct correlation for me but the weather affects it. B/c of my illness, I read many pain mgmt books and saw many mds. There are ways of managing arthritis. One way is to mess up your brain. Frizz it out. Talesin suggested alternating hot water for two minutes or so, and then ice water for a few minutes for several times. Capsicin, pepper, helps a lot of people.

There is a huge difference between moist heat and heat. Moist heat is much more effective. People have thanked me for this tip. If the problem is chronic, you can purchase hydrocollators from a drug store and heat them on your stove. You wrap it in towels and place against the sore spot.

Everyone is different. If it is very cold, you may have strained a muscle. Most of the moist heat treatments work for muscles, too. Massage helps. The worse thing to do is not move.

Pain mgmt doctors don't really know how these treatments work. Most people need to experiment.

Some days I have a normal gait. The next day I can hardly walk.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I am still trying to figure this out myself too. Closest I can come to is "Bursitis of hips." Couldn't sleep on either side much!! Fish oil is helping most.. doing Krill Omega-3 now,,seems to be working at this point.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thanks Shelby, Band and Gayle. All tips appreciated.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit