Think the cold has highlighted problem with hip joints??

by Lozhasleft 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Today we visited someone and their house was unheated. We stayed over an hour. It's cold here in the UK right now, snow in places, frost in our area. I kept my coat on but I was still very cold. So...I got in the car with the heater on...... when I got home say, ten mins later...I could barely walk. I can't bend without extreme pain. I've taken analgesics and even anti inflammatories but it's getting worse. I'm baffled now. Could it be an arthritis? I'm a mature lady...can't think what else it could be, but it seems a severe response?

Loz x

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

It could be arthritis. I have osteoarthritis and the cold definately makes it worse. Did you try heat to ease the symptoms (i.e. hot bath, hot compress)?

Just this past year I've also started having a reaction to the cold. I break out in itchy hives and red spots if I'm outside for very long (and unfortunately we have long, cold, snowy winters here). So there are some physical symptoms caused by the cold that come on as we get older.

• tornapart
    tornapart

OH Loz! I feel for you!! It had been pretty cold here hasn't it? And snow tomorrow.... I really hope you can get rid of the pain! Stay indoors in the warm for the next few days, take as many painkillers as you're able to and move around gently... don't stay in one place.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes, Mamochan a friend of mine suffers terribly with Osteo arthritis and is telling me how badly the cold affects it...

Torn...yes thank you..I'm trying to keep moving but it's sooo painful...

Loz x

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Los, have your house as warm as you can, rest, and wear plenty of warm thin layers...there was a reason for the warm woolly vests that our mothers put us in for winter...they all wear them in Iceland!

Nice hot food, warm drinks, you know the drill. Cod liver oil and glucosamine supplements are said to help. Almonds, too. I know plenty of dark green veg is good. And warmth, warmth, hot water bottle against the joint...none of it can do any harm.

It'll probably clear up quickly if it's a short term reaction as it sounds...but...you should maybe go to the doctor?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Thanks Char, seems opinions agree on treatment. Have put electic blanket on, hot drinks sorted and central heating is up...doctor's appointment is planned. Just very shocked at the severity.

Loz x

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

It seems that I have had an arthritis flare up, X-ray is on the cards to establish type. Have been in agony since Wednesday, not funny at all, reminds me of toothache. Getting a little stir crazy staying in the warm but snow outside so seems the best plan. Hot water bottle and brufen are helping.

Loz x

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Oh, Loz, follow all the advice given you. I really hope it's just a short-term flare-up caused by the cold. (And brrrrr...it's cold, isn't it?!)

Arthritis runs in my family. My sister has the beginnings of it. So far, I haven't, at least I don't think so. I really hope yours calms down.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I don't think I have arthritis but I have a bad back and hips and I also broke my ankle years back and all of these areas are made worse by cold.

Ibuprofin with some alcohol takes away some of the pain and stiffness. I also put heat on the worst affected areas.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

UK is so cold right now Amelia isn't it, it must be affecting so many with similar ailments.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit