Trend of Fewer Baptisms Continues: Latest JW Conventions in New Zealand

by steve2 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The round of "international" conventions that started in the middle of last year in the States "wrapped" up last weekend in New Zealand. There was some media converage (from which I derived the information that follows). (Someone who knows how to copy links may be able to provide the relevant media links?)

Six satellite convention sites throughout the country were linked to the main one in Hamilton city. Available figures show that attendance at the Hamilton convention was about 10,000 with 45 baptisms and at one of the satellites, Porirua, peak attendance was 2,604 with 12 baptized. A total of about 20,000 attended the conventions throughout the country with about 3,000 of the conventioners coming from other countries.

What stands out is the relatively low numbers presenting for baptism. Apart from Porirua, I don't have the figures for the other smaller satellite convention sites. However, given that the largest convention of 10,000 in Hamilton had 45 candidates and the smaller one, 12, we're looking at a continuing downward trend of baptisms. Certainly, the days of hundreds lining up to be baptized are long gone. For example, in New Zealand in 1985, 519 were baptized and in 1995, 615, while last year there were 269.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It was mentioned on the other thread (the one about how elders are aging and becoming more scarce) - but again I am reminded:

The JWs seem to be on a trend toward an ever older demographic - one that is producing far fewer offspring.

What offspring they did have in the past who were baptised as JWs seem to have left in large numbers.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Are these "international" conventions the only conventions they're having this year in New Zealand?

Certainly, the days of hundreds lining up to be baptized are long gone. For example, in New Zealand in 1985, 519 were baptized and in 1995, 615, while last year there were 269.

Interesting. I wonder how much of this is the constant drumbeat they've been having lately in the Watchtower to shun your family. The Governing Body really must be the most short-sighted people in the history of the world.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Circuit Assembly from two years ago was the first time I've ever been to one where there wasn't one candidate for baptism. The crazy thing, hilarious in hindsight too, was that the speaker acted like everything was normal. We still had the baptismal talk , and the baptismal song like it was appropriate to do so or something. The speaker appeared surprised too as he stated from the platform in more words or less, "You mean we don't have one candidate?" I was behind the stage in disbelief myself like WTF?!?

The last couple District Conventions and Circuit Assemblies since have had candidates, and our congregation just had a few baptised. Thing about it though is, it's all born-ins or ones who had some association with the religion when they were younger and came back to the congregation after making some sorry decision in life that has left them messed up in the head. Everyone else that's gotten dipped without having significant association with JWs in their youth, have been weirdo types. On one hand I don't knock it because it's nice that people considered freaks by much of society have some place to be accepted, but I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen someone remotely normal get baptized as a JW.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

the last time I've seen someone remotely normal get baptized as a JW

I'm sure that percentage of remotely normal folks getting baptized is probably (and has always been) in the 5 percent range. Most Dubs start out "normal" but then they say or do something that you go hmmmmmm.

• moshe
    moshe
    it's nice that people considered freaks by much of society have some place to be accepted

-yes , I know what you mean.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Circuit Assembly from two years ago was the first time I've ever been to one where there wasn't one candidate for baptism. Thing about it though is, it's all born-ins

A few years back it was 12 year olds. Now it's not surprising to learn of 8 years olds gtting baptized. If they are going to keep the baptism numbers from completely going into the tank, they're going to have to begin "sprinkling" so as not to risk drowning the infants.

Doc

• steve2
    steve2

Good point James - although I'd add it is not so much producing fewer offspring but fewer offspring who take the step of baptism and/or even remain in the religion.

Eustace - I don't have enough current knowledge to comment on the numbers presenting for baptism at circuit assemblies in New Zealand, but based on the latest service report, baptisms in 2012 in this country totalled 269 - such low numbers were last seen in the early 1960s.

Theocratic Sedition - yes, the days of JWs being composed of a large number of those first contacted in the door to door work are well and truly over. I think of my home congregation throughout the 1960s and especially the first half of the 1970s: The staggering proportion of completely "new" JWs who had no earlier generational family ties to the religion really stood out. Nowadays, the bulk of those getting baptized were raised in the religion.

• hoser
    hoser

Theocratic Sedition

Same thing happened in our circuit. No candidates. The speaker carried on as normal.

I wonder if they check with the congregations, say, a couple months in advance to see if there are any candidates for baptism? If not maybe they fast track some 11 year old kid.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen someone remotely normal get baptized as a JW.

And this will be their demise. No its not going to crumble in a decade or two, but give it fifty to eighty years and the erosion is going to be unstoppable.

Back in the 50's through the 70's, at least they had ideas, energy, and a viable business mode. Yeah the ideas were wacky and time proves the false prophet wrong. Now all they have to rely on is born ins to carry their water. Its limping along now, but its only gonna get worse unless they reform, and I don't think they have the balls to do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit