Does fear of death equate to need for God?

by Monsieur 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

That’s one hell of a leap for an atheist.

It is, indeed :)

Peace and love to you,

tammy

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Every religion has its problems, even atheism. But yes, death does play a decisive role...at least I think.

Several years ago, I was sitting in a waiting room of a physical therapist. I suddenly became aware of an elderly woman sitting nearby, and she was sobbing loudly. An Asian therapist sat next to her and though I couldn't hear her, I heard her. She kept repeating, "I don't want to die!" It startled me how someone could fear death so much. Having read a number of near death experiences in my time, I thought to myself, when it happens, you won't have a thing to say about it...and it will happen so naturally and quickly that (once it happens) you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

One of the greatest fears those who pass through the veil have is whether they will face judgment and hell. Some people are good, decent, honorable people who just had no time or interest in religion. For many, their passing will suddenly be fraught with fear and doubt. I've wondered what Jehovah's Witnesses and other "adventists" will think once they pass. For most of their lives they've believed in that abomnible soul sleeping doctrine, and I wonder what their thoughts will be when they see their own bodies nearby and realize that they're not sleeping?

My grandmother feared death, mostly because one of her daughters was a Jehovah's Witness and kept sending her articles about when you die you become bug food. I suppose my aunt was trying to scare her into the "Truth," but it didn't work. My grandmother was too old and she was bound that she was going to share her late husband's fate, whatever that might be. But she feared death because it meant not existing. Fortunately, I was there to offer a more positive message, and when she died, my only regret was that the last person she saw in life was Dan Rather! She died while watching the news.

Do atheists have a greater fear of dying that those who are religious? Who knows? Often what they and what they actually feel can be quite different, especially at the end. (I rather enjoyed the story of the monster Stalin shaking his fist above him and screaming in terror just before he went to his just reward.) But what about JWs? As they approach death, do they suddenly fear the gaping grave and cold dirt waiting to receive them? And as discussed elsewhere, even if they're right, God may recreate a person, but is it the person or is it Memorex?

The Watchtower articles tout the soul sleeping doctrine as something that should be of immense comfort to those facing death, but why? Once they cease to exist, what the hell difference does it make whether they're revived or not? It's like the attitude of a real cynic, who put on his gravestone: "I was not. I was. I am not. I care not." Ouch!

• Pterist
    Pterist

One of the gifts of the ransom in Christ is to overcome the fear of death. However, I don't fear death itself, I fear the dying process that may be encountered. I experienced my first wife's death to cancer, stayed in a hospice by her side during her last days, not a very nice experience as the New Year celebrations are barely noticeable on the TV in our private room. I experienced two younger sisters die to cancer and my Dad last year. The gift of eternal life is such a wonderful gift, but a quick death without pain and demoralization is certainly more humane.

Shalom

• tec
    tec

That was a lot of pain in your loved ones, for you to see them through, Pterist.

I hear you on having some fear of the means of death. I don't relish pain... and I don't look forward to leaving loved ones who might need/want me around still. The death itself, though, as you say... no fear of that.

Peace,

tammy

• Fernando
    Fernando

What I am learning about the greatest legal custody battle ever between our evil step-father and our heavenly father:

In Eden our step-father published the "message of death" as part of the "bad news" (religion).

Our heavenly father responded by publishing the plan or "message of salvation" as part of the "Good News" (about our older brother, Jesus).

For me a bigger issue than life or death is which family do I identify with and belong in.

Watchtower followers are clear that they are not sons of God. Hence when they say "father" it is in reality a reference to our step-father (the god of religion).

• Pterist
    Pterist

Thank you Tammy

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

This is something that I really really wanted to talk about. I agree, once you have broken the chains of the WTBTS, you have to start thinking about ones own demise. Remember we are "cultified to thinking - one will NEVER die"

So with that being said, I STUMBLED upon a great book that I would like to share - MANY of you have read, watched and heard about it - "Tuesdays with Morrie.

I will say that one phrase has changed my life - “Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.”

I love that saying - there are so many more gems - to get a list of them all - (see the link) he was a wise man, Morrie

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1995335-tuesdays-with-morrie

P.s. in the book he makes a comment about Job on the Tenth Tuesday -

"Mitch asks Morrie if he recalls the Book of Job from the Bible, the parable about a good man who God makes suffer only to test his religious faith. Morrie tells Mitch that in his opinion, God "overdid it."

• AGuest
    AGuest

Lovely thread. All comments warmed my heart. Thank you all... and peace to you!

A doulos of Christ,

SA, who doesn't fear death OR God (the first is pretty inevitable for most of mankind, pending Christ's return... so best learn to accept it - hubby and I even have our plots all ready and paid for - and the second isn't required: God is love. How can one fear love? Well, now, wait, I guess there are some... I don't fear love. I LOVE love... and welcome from wherever I can get it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit