Are Jehovah's Witnesses a hierarchical religion? And does it matter?

by cedars 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

When I saw this I thought to myself "Sneaky Bastards". Why?

Because they numbered the components, instead putting them inside some sort of organizational structure, whether it be a pyramid, or even an org chart. The average JW will just see the list and nod their head in agreement, "Yep, those are the components of Jehovah's Org."

But the subconscious message couldn't be more clear. GB on top, publishers on the bottom.

• moshe
    moshe

Keep the serfs ignorant and they will keep working for free-

• wasblind
    wasblind

Cedars you have a PM

LOL @ MOSHE

• tec
    tec

LostGeneration.. that IS sneaky. I never even thought about that.

peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

I always like when Fred Franz affectionately referred to us as 'Rank and File'.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

00DAD is spot on there! ...It is clear that a hierarchy exists in the WTS . It is both official and unofficial . I recall being told at an elders seminar that the C/O had "Executive authority" and should be treated as such. This was in the early days of eldership and some of our number had really believed the original statements that all elders were brothers with no superiority. That did not last long!

"a Watchtower attorney by the name of Calvin Rouse told a judge: “We are a hierarchical religion just like the Catholic Church.”

That is an amazing quote Cedars. For him to say WE means that he is a dub, not an hired outsider and to wish to be likened to Catholicism is just beyond it ....J Rutherford would be spinning in his grave............

• jgnat
    jgnat

Rank & File

Rank & File - unity in action.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks guys!

I know the article is stating the obvious a bit, but hopefully by exploring the issue from various angles (the Menlo Park admission, the April 15th illustration, comparisons with Animal Farm, etc) the article might just make a dent in the cognitive dissonance of at least one indoctrinated publisher. If so, it would be worth it.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The pyramids are a good visual aid. Appropriate too, considering Russell's fascination with pyrimidology:

Pyramidology of CTR

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Great article, Cedars!

Here's my favorite quote:

When you look closely, you notice that even the chairs are more comfortable the higher up the ladder you happen to be! Governing Body members get plush leather executive chairs, while branch office members must make do with plain office swivel chairs. If you are an elder, you can consider yourself lucky to get a school canteen chair! Evidently the more privileged you are in God’s organization, the more seat padding you require.

I think the reason the GB members need such comfy chairs is that they spend so much time on their fat asses instead of actually doing any real work!

Although I did read somewhere once that they occasionally "work" through lunch.

Let's review: It's a cult!

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit