Are you now ashamed of how gullible you were as a JW?

by biometrics 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

While I am ashamed of my gullibility, I find the gullibility of some of my older family members astounding. Some were at Bethel during the heyday of Rutherford, and TOLD me about much of the Bethel crap and weird mystical Russel beliefs long before I went. Yet they believed it.......or said they did.

They did say things like "they are just men", "take the Watchtower with a grain of salt", "Rutherford was an Ass and a woman hater" stuff like that.

Odd that they were outwardly loyal. (outwardly- they had retirement accounts).

• Ucantnome
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Shame and guilt are, in reality, useless emotions that keep living in the past rather than appreciating the present.

Look back, learn from it and resolve never to be so gullible again..but enjoy the "now" and our cognitive freedom

• likeabird
    likeabird

Agree with Cedars and Punk of Nice.

Ashamed - not sure, but then again, what is there to be proud of?

Angry - extremely.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Marking

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I'm very angry inside for my mother. She never remarried, she loves animals and she thinks Paradise is any day now. Aside from we 3 kids, she is alone.........never experienced so many things in life because she was waiting for Paradise.

That is when my anger get red hot.

Ashamed? Only that I was a high and mighty elder and DF'd people. That disgusts me......I knew it was wrong while I was doing it.

Otherwise, I LOVE...and I do mean LOVE laughing at this crazy cult now. I had a thread on here a month ago where I admitted my visit to Chuck Russell's grave was one of the funniest experiences of my life.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Bluesbrother -

Shame and guilt are, in reality, useless emotions that keep living in the past rather than appreciating the present.

Look back, learn from it and resolve never to be so gullible again..but enjoy the "now" and our cognitive freedom

Very good advice! I know that's something I need to really work on....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Born in..

Pissed Off..

........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that for many of you guys there just wasn't the kind of information that you need as readily available then as you have it now.

That makes a huge difference.

It is easy to get caught up when someone comes to you and has all the answers to the questions, even questions you didn't know you had!

It is human nature to accept the answers of those that APPEAR to know more, especially when there is no reason to question "authrotiy".

But now that this is no longer the case, one hopes that you learned that most valuable of lessons :)

Don't go along and question everything, get the view from BOTH sides and from MULTIPLE sources !

Decide for yourself based on the evidence and not what you WANT or NEED it to say.

If the evidence is limited or even inconclusive, research more and be open to the fact that answer you want may not be the answer you will get.

ALso, be very aware of your latent preconcieved ideas about something and don't fall into the trap of going where the evidence leads you that you WANT it to lead.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

still pisses me off

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit