Creation Story Contradiction

by JosephAlward 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Several believers have joined the forum since I last raised the issue of creation order, so I present it once again:

The two different creation stories in Genesis contradict each other in the matter of the order of the creation of man and vegetation. In the first story, vegetation was created on the third day, and three days later man was created. However, in the second creation story, there was no vegetation before man. Once again, we see that the Bible was never meant to be taken literally.

Vegetation Created Before Man

Genesis 1:11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation [on]the third day... God created man [on]the sixth day. (Genesis 1:11-27)

No Vegetation Before Man

no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for...there was no man to work the ground (Genesis 2:5)
    If the Bible contradicts itself in the matter of creation order, why should we trust it in matters relating to salvation?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• aChristian
    aChristian

Joseph wrote: Several believers have joined the forum since I last raised the issue of creation order.

Joseph has apparently sensed the presence of some here whose faith he has not yet had the opportunity to try his best to destroy.

Joseph, I know I said I would not participate in threads you obviously create with the sole purpose of bashing the Bible. But providing the answer to this alleged "contradiction" was just too easy for me to resist. Honestly, Joseph, the Bible has a lot of things that are hard to understand. Why don't you pick on those things? Why do yo pick on everything and anything having to do with a belief in God or the Bible, even things which can be easily explained by almost any Bible student? I'll resist the temptation to speculate on the answer to that question.

Joseph wrote: The two different creation stories in Genesis contradict each other in the matter of the order of the creation of man and vegetation. In the first story, vegetation was created on the third day, and three days later man was created. However, in the second creation story, there was no vegetation before man.

The very simple solution to Joseph's "question" is to understand that Genesis chapter One is describing God's creation of vegetation on our earth before His creation of Adam. And that Genesis chapter Two is describing God's creation of the Garden of Eden in a previously barren region of the earth, immediately after His creation of Adam. It is with this solution in mind that the translators of the NIV Bible tell us in a footnote attached to Genesis 2:5,6, that the Hebrew word which is usually there translated as "earth," giving most readers the idea that these two verses are referring to our entire planet, can also be translated as "land," which most readers would then understand to refer only to a limited geographical area.

The sad thing is that Joseph is well aware of this fact. For it was recently discussed at some length in another thread dealing with Noah's flood. In that discussion Hebrew lexicons were quoted saying that the Hebrew word 'eres, which appears in both of the passages which Joseph wants us to believe are in conflict, is used in the Old Testament to refer to both our entire planet and to a limited geographical area. Thus Bible translators and Bible readers are often left to determine only from its context which of these two ways the writer of Genesis was using this word.

The same thing is true today of many English words. One word often has two or more meanings. When we read something someone has written using such a word, we must determine its meaning by examining the context in which the writer used it. Usually the context makes its particular meaning quite clear, but not always.

Since this subject matter was very recently discussed at some length with Joseph, I must now decide if he has a very bad memory, very poor reading comprehension skills or if he is very dishonest.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

aChristian,

It sure does help to read those footnotes in the Bible before jumping to conclusions as so many do.

"Since this subject matter was very recently discussed at some length with Joseph, I must now decide if he has a very bad memory, very poor reading comprehension skills or if he is very dishonest."

Could be all of the above!

Scorpion

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

g'day AC

It is with this solution in mind that the translators of the NIV Bible tell us in a footnote attached to Genesis 2:5,6, that the Hebrew word which is usually there translated as "earth," giving most readers the idea that these two verses are referring to our entire planet, can also be translated as "land," which most readers would then understand to refer only a limited geographical area.
    unless you read gen 1:9, which gives me the impression that it means everything --the earth[bar the seas].

'9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.'

• RWC
    RWC

AChristian correctly explained this one. In addition to what he said, there is also the thought that the plants here are those that required cultivation, not wild plants or other vegatation that appeared on "day" three.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

aChristian, RWC,

That isn't what the bible says. JosephAlward is quoting directly from the bible; you are "straining the gnat and swallowing the camel" by making excuses for blatant contradictions.

Perhaps it is time to let it go and admit that the bible is not the infallible word of a deity.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• stocwach
    stocwach

Gweedo,

How do you get the impression that "land" in vs. 9 refers to everything exclusively? It simply is used in context as a name for "dry ground".

It does not change the fact that "land" can be used to reference a geographic area.

• stocwach
    stocwach

You know, the more I read the passage, the more absurdity reveals itself in the thinking of Joseph Alward, and Elsewhere, and any other atheistis mentality out there.

There is absolutely no contradiction whatsoever here, and it is obvious we are talking about an event AFTER creation, NOT A CONCURRENT EVENT.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    There is absolutely no contradiction whatsoever here, and it is obvious we are talking about an event AFTER creation, NOT A CONCURRENT EVENT.

Agreed. It appears the account in question is referring to cultivated plants, rather than wild ones. Of course, it shows a misunderstanding of nature (understandable given the primitive world of the writers of Genesis), but you're right, it doesn't contradict the creation account.

--
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

I can’t see a problem with the accounts, as in verse 2:5 we are told that it hadn’t yet rained, then in verse 2:6 we are told that a mist used to go up and water the ground. Logically this is when vegetation grew. Then we jump to later in verse 2:7 where God made Adam. What is the problem with this Joseph?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit