SkyGreen is no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses... Why?

by SkyGreen 21 Replies latest jw friends

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Wow it felt good to type that heading, if only it were officially true!

I guess i dont want to dwell on "TTATT" too much, though I am now an inactive JW now, and will be forever, I dont want to be defined by that. I am just me. But I will certainly keep an eye on this forum, contribute where I feel I can, and I must say thankyou to those who moderate it and keep it running. What a lifeline it has been!

I know the time will come when I will have to give my Mum some sort of explanation for my being inactive, and I wanted to sort it all out in my head anyway, so I composed the following, its saved on my computer (no worries, my hubby already knows it all and he is very supportive although not at the same point himself)... and feel so much freer again!

Feedback is welcome. Its a bit rough as I only just finished... Im sure I missed plenty out!

Love from SkyGreen

(because finding out TTATT is like waking up one day and seeing that the grass is blue....and the Sky is Green)

My doubts about the organization began slowly, in my last Congregation, as I experienced the unloving, unchristian way of some elders. This led me to question that they were “appointed by holy spirit”

I agree that one cannot expect perfection from imperfect men. However, further research showed me that problems like this are so widespread, even to the point of elders being guilty of serious misconduct over a period of time. If Jesus is really “head of the congregation” as taught, why would children and other similarly vulnerable ones be continuously put at risk, as they “wait on Jehovah” to sort things out.

Reading Crisis of Conscience, by former governing body member brother Raymond Franz, opened my eyes to the inner workings of the societies leaders over time. The inconsistencies regarding Malawi and Mexico brothers caused me great pain.

Further research of the societies older publications showed me there were several outright and heavily implied prophecies about the end of this system, that were later modified or proved completely untrue. The scripture often quoted in Prov 4:18 about the “light getting brighter” doesn’t seem to really apply to this. That scripture is talking about the path of the righteous one, which could be interpreted several ways. I read somewhere recently that light might get brighter, but it shouldn’t change colour!

Interestingly, in Deut 18:22, the point is clearly made that if the prediction of a so called prophet does NOT come true, then he is not speaking the words of Jehovah.

I understand that expectations about the end of this system, did help some to intensify their share in the preaching work and put off so called worldly goals and ambitions, therefore the Word was preached more and more. So if it is the truth, then some benefit came, despite the disappointment of many, and the fact that many (for example, post 1975) fell away from the organization.

But, what about understandings regarding organ transplants? Did not the society put itself in the place of God to make these decisions for people in the past? Could they not be bloodguilty for this? Don’t they continue to put themselves in God’s place by making decisions for people? While they say it is up to our conscience, so many things are heavily implied as being wrong (eg university)

The teachings surrounding 1914 are integral to what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. The destruction of Jerusalem needs to have been in 607 for this to be correct. Bible prophecy states that Jerusalem’s punishment (captivity) would last 70 years, and so although archealogical evidence points to it only lasting around 50 years. Because of the strong belief and faith in biblical prophecy over any human wisdom, Jehovah’s Witnesses have held fast to the 607 date as being correct.

In the bible, there have been times where Jehovah has taken back his punishment, for example, read the whole book of Jonah. Ninevah was supposed to be destroyed, yet because of their sincere repentance, Jehovah spared them.

Might he not have done the same for Jerusalem? Should the WTS hold so tightly to the 607/1914 belief? Perhaps they should admit to still really just being “Bible Students” rather than Jehovah’s earthly representatives!

Since realizing the above things, I have continued to research. I find many doctrines or teachings that do not have clear scriptural backing. This does seem like a very high control group. As witnesses, we are cautioned strongly against reading anything “apostate” or “worldly philosophies”. But shouldn’t real truth stand up to scrutiny. From what I have read, I have been able quite easily to discern between those that are simply bitter over personal experience, from those who really have chosen to follow their Christian conscience. Any doctrinal concerns or historical concerns I have thoroughly researched and not been swayed by anything I could not verify.

The recent doctrinal change regarding “overlapping generations” just boggles my mind. Wont even go there.

Despite having serious problems at some point about a year ago with serving in the ministry (when I couldn’t honestly say this was THE TRUTH,) I still firmly believed in God, and had this real spiritual need.

But now that my mind feels freer to analise things more, I find it harder and harder to believe that there is a God in heaven who still cares about us. Maybe he started us off, but he forgot about us long ago.

Looking at the bible teach book from a fresh perspective, the illustration of the teacher and rebellious student to represent Jehovah and Satan and the “universal issue” just doesn’t fly. I read somewhere someone elses thoughts: If there was a “cosmic pain meter” that God could refer to at any one time…. Just think about that.

If we are honestly created in his image (love), and if we could heal all of that pain, we would do it instantly. 1000 years to him may be just a day, but it is at least 10 lifetimes for us!!

I agree that if more people lived by Christian principles, the world would be a better place. But those principles can be taught without a religion. The love thy neighbor principle is natural to most human beings, isn’t it?

My priority is to love my family and do what I can to care for them and myself, to teach my children love and tolerance. I want them to pursue whatever dreams they have, and to use their lives in a positive way. I want to do the same for myself.

If “the truth” is THE TRUTH, and I deserve to die at Armageddon, so be it. My conscience is clear. I am not a bad person.

Think about this… if it is the truth and Armageddon came tomorrow, what about that beautiful baby girl my neighbor just gave birth to…. Does she deserve to die? Would Jehovah kill her just because her parents weren’t interested in listening to yet another religion? If that’s the case, he is not a god I would want to serve for eternity.

I would love to have some kind of faith to comfort me in later life, only time will tell...

The end. (tada! lol)

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

er wow - beautifully written. So many things you see clearly. I hope it has helped you writing it down because it has helped me reading it. This is the first thread of yours I have read. i do not know you or the life you have had yet I can understand, and agree with your views on all the topics you have raised. Maybe that's because what we were taught as JW's was not logical, was not right and a normal reasoning person who is not under their control would also agree.

I wish you well skygreen (great name now I know what it means)

mmxiv

• Room 215
    Room 215

" The teachings surrounding 1914 are integral to what Jehovah’s Witnesses believe. The destruction of Jerusalem needs to have been in 607 for this to be correct.".... that's only the first of a series of tenuous links to 1914.. the highly dubious connection between widely disparate scriptures, the leap-of-faith "year-for-a-day" notion, etc., etc. .... nicely done, by the way, SG!

• jemba
    jemba

Love it thanks SkyGreen.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Welcome! You will find many a kindred spirit here. Everything of the best in your quest to be a good mother and wife. Certainly commendable.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Thanks for sharing! I too have been - and continue to be - in the process of deconstructing the beliefs once held to be absolute. As a part of the JW culture - active yet pessimistic - for forty years, it has been a challenge to face the facts. If you don't want to be labeled a full blown "apostate" it's best to quietly go about your business. I too have come to the conclusion that family and real friends are more important that ones religion.

A scenario that I've rolled around in my mind has been to imagine that I was born in the Middle East (no fault of my own), have a family and career, never heard of the Witnesses, never read the Bible, had no exposure to Christianity. Just a regular guy. Yet (unknown to me) the clock was ticking on a complete extermination of me, my family, friends, neighbors... And - to really make this situation really weird - there were 7+ million people working as hard as they can preaching about (not to me) and anxiously anticipating this divine destruction?? Just doesn't add up...

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

thankyou so much everyone, it makes me happy to know that posting this has been helpful to at least one other person if not more.

I was watching a couple of youtube videos posted here, one about mexico/malawi (by the snarky apologist), and the other from Cedars/jw survey about the child abuse letter. Both very powerful. Will be bookmarking and keeping lots of these "gems" in a file for future reference and possibly to help others.

Love to everyone

Sky xxx

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

These are all good reasons why the Witnesses aren't who they claim to be. I think the Witnesses have always been wrong- even when they were Bible Students, and C. T. Russell was in charge. To select individual verses from all over the Bible and work out some sort of formula for a 'second coming' of Jesus is foolishness. But anyway, what you say to your mum is up to you; the religion means different things to different people, and for some it is their only social network- so to expect them to leave is not realistic.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

SKYGREEN:

Think about this… if it is the truth and Armageddon came tomorrow, what about that beautiful baby girl my neighbor just gave birth to…. Does she deserve to die? Would Jehovah kill her just because her parents weren’t interested in listening to yet another religion? If that’s the case, he is not a god I would want to serve for eternity.

LISA ROSE: One of my aha moments was when my JW mother said it was too bad her grandson and his wife had just had a new baby, because it was just going to die at Armageddon soon. I was speechless, how could the birth of a baby be anything but a joy? I guess I never had that level of certainty in the religion that I could even think something like that.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I find it harder and harder to believe that there is a God in heaven who still cares about us.

I still find it hard to accept the concept that all life as we know it began by "chance". Yes, I still see "intelligent design".

Yet, if it is the Will of God that all sorts of men should be saved, then (1) he sure made a mistake choosing the JWs as his PR representatives [if you still believe that is true]; (2) even if he chose ALL of Christianity, even they are failing him miserably.

I hope there is time for him to change his marketing methods/representatives, or most souls will be lost.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit