Would a downtown NY public protest against shunning help or harm the Watchtower Corp?

by tootired2care 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

When I was a Beth-hell-ite in 1990 there was a huge demonstration- at least 50 people IMO.

I called in sick that day, was at my 7th floor 124 Columbia Heights room and I remember watching out the window. There was a guy on a megaphone and I recall being scared and wondering what it all meant. There were people walking around with sandwich signs saying things like "I was a JW elder ask me how I got saved", etc. it was surreal. They were also carrying a casket it was weird and it didn't make sense at the time.

One more splinter in my mind that pricked my conscience though...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

A good You tube post gets more hits. A van or car parked outside Bethel or an Assembly hall with wraps or signage showing websites and a short message like "Religion is a snare and a Racket" might get some thinking.

Protests at Bethel were common when I was there..and did little.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I had wondered about XJWs like us holding some sort of convention of our own, but making it a "debaptism," so that it would gain any attention in the press as it did when some ex-Mormons tried debaptizing themselves. Something like that, held on neurtral terriroty rather than the WT's doorstep, might be better. You'd be a bunch of people just doing their own thing and not oppressing anyone. There would be no footage of a mob howling outside the Society's doors while innocent JWs minding their own business smiled knowlingly, as they have done in other YouTube videos I have seen.

The press would ask why you're doing it, and you'd be ready with an answer like, "Because the WT shuns people who change their minds about the Society having the one and only true religion. It's forces thousands of people to stay JWs who don't want to be just so they can talk to their family's." Or whatever. You'd have to think carefully about the statement and make it fairly short, though. It would have to be a statement of fact and less an accusation they could refute.

The question is, can you make it newsworthy? Can you get enough exxers interested?

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

IsaacJ22 I'm in let's do it!

• jgnat
    jgnat

The amount of coverage you get depends on the number of people you get out to protest. The biggest impact, if you did get a large group, would be public interest. The media tempers its interest based on the number of protesters you are able to get out. The more the merrier.

Mouthy has participated in public protests in the past. Silentlambs and Shunned Father organized public protests.

Veteran protest groups like the LGBT community, animal rights, and the G8 protesters, is you get more points for creativity. Dress up, clown around, do a show.

What if you conducted an outdoor improv event, taped it, and put it on youtube? http://improveverywhere.com/

Wingnut Tour of Bethel comes to mind. Tour members start out looking normal but then at prearranged signals, switch out to goofy ties, glasses, vampire teeth....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit