Would a downtown NY public protest against shunning help or harm the Watchtower Corp?

by tootired2care 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

So I was having an interesting thought the other night -- albeit probably not original, but interesting. What would be accomplished if thousands of us banded together and held a huge protest of the issue of shunning family right behind the governing body's headquarters (25 columbia heights) in Brooklyn Bridge Park? The shunning of non-believing family is a strong issue that I'm sure everyone of us could get behind 100%. Certainly other things could be protested, but shunning is a big one that the public might be able to clearly grasp.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I think this might be a great tool to get the media's attention and create a major public embarrassment for the Watchtower and possibly force their hand to change their policies.

Has something big like this ever been done in close proximity to WT HQ?

Do you think this would help or hinder the WT corporation, would public embarrassment create resolve in its members or doubt?

• Londo111
    Londo111

They would play the “Persecution” card. Protests have happened before at their doorstep and it hasn’t changed a thing.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@Londo - I figured as much, when did the last big one happen and how many showed up roughly? If it was a convention size protest group, I can see why it didn't go anywhere. Growing up as dub I never heard of anything that made national or even regional news. I wonder if many dubs feel that since these things no longer happen to the scale they may have decades ago it's somehow evidence that Jehovah has smoothed the way and blessed them.

• Glander
    Glander

It's obviously the choice of those who think it would be "helpful" and those who also would participate in the actual demonstration. More importantly, the pre-demonstration press release would be critical. Then the demonstrators themselves should prepared and articulate enough to take advantage of live press coverage.

My personal opinion is that shunning should be challenged in the courts, not the media.

• irondork
    irondork

If I thought for a moment such a crowd could be put together and/or a dent could be made in WT policy, I would travel the 600 miles to participate.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

The protest would have no effect on the WT or the JWs in Bethel or Brooklyn

The major target of protest would be to reach the public so they know just how horrid the religion is.

As for changing the policy, that won't happen until it hurts them in the courts, then 'newlight' may well flash on that issue.

Oz

• Sulla
    Sulla

Media wouldn't cover it. Woman gets raped to death on a bus -- that's a protest story. Your family wont' talk to you because they disagree with your religious choices -- who gives a shit? It's a big deal to us, but on the global scale of fucked-upness, it's pretty much a nothing sandwich.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

If yuo get serious about it I have two friends who are news directors for major networks. I play golf semiannually with one. We have talked about it before I know he would put a good twist to it.

• gone for good
    gone for good

too tired -

Sounds like a great opportunity to finally see The Big Apple - and help give a great anti-witness before they flee the city.

About 600 miles for me too - I'd go in a heartbeat.

With serious pre-planning, concrete messages, ( regarding their interference with families and personal freedoms) ,

and significant participation, we can certainly have an impact- and a really fun time - it's NYC after all

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Oz is right. The info needs to become public knowledge. Atheists are doing a great billboard campaign in Portland Oregon. But that costs money.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit