A Toast to Windchimes

by DarioKehl 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I recently researched on JW dot org why toasts are not allowed. In the article, they candidly admit that wedding bands also have pagan origins, but their modern understanding trumps this fact since they serve another function: signifying whether or not a person is married. Same with neck ties, I guess (although their pagan origins were not mentioned in the article).

What I'd like to know is, doesn't toasting have a modern understanding as a customary courtesy--a way of saying "good health," or "he/she's a jolly good fellow?" Why is toasting scorned but wedding bands aren't? And who got the final say on that decision?

If Mother's Day, Father's Day and birthdays are forbidden because they're forms of idolatry, then why are wedding anniversaries and graduation parties allowed? There are no good explanations for the contradiction.

If Pokemon, Smurfs & He-Man are frowned upon, then why does every JW I know give the Wizard of Oz and every Disney movie a free pass?

The bans on peace signs, wind chimes, dream catchers, beards, piercings, color dyed hair, and R-rated movies make no sense to me either.

When international conventions come up, it's ok for delegates to be decked out in traditional clothing from their culture. Surely, some of those have origins that could be called "pagan." And how is that not nationalism?

How are JW dot org pins not idolatry? I clearly remember JWs purposely not putting the watchtower symbol anywhere on their buildings, signs or engraving it into the podium--certainly not wearing it--but this JW dot org flair really perplexes me.

What other objects, customs & practices have you wondering why they're banned when other arguably similar things are not?

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

There is so much hypocrisy in the WT that there's no way to quantify it.

It's a cult and everything they do is to further their own agenda. They love power and control and money, that is their agenda.

Interesting topic you brought up, thank you.

Marina

P.S. My house is full of wind chimes and fountains, lol

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Someone should totally make a flag saluting, toasting Sparlock windchime.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Someone should totally make a flag saluting, toasting Sparlock windchime.

That would make a great birthday present!

As I've said about a billions times, pants are pagan. Trousers predate Christ, so he would have known about them from his pre-human existence. But Jesus never wore pants. Nor did he prophecy that his true followers would wear this heathen attire. It wasn't until after the death of the apostles and the coming of the great apostasy that trousers and Christmas became popular. And while Christmas makes god sad once each year, pants make god sad every day.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

When we replace the living reality of life with ideas, words and beliefs from a book(s) or magazines, then our 'life' becomes extremely narrow and subtracts most everything.

A wise question may be: in what ways am I doing that now?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

When international conventions come up, it's ok for delegates to be decked out in traditional clothing from their culture. Surely, some of those have origins that could be called "pagan." And how is that not nationalism?

My Wife's JW relatives (white people) are Missionaries in Africa. Whenever they post on facebook or Instagram photos of themselves and the African Witnesses at meeting or in service, they are all wearing western shirts and ties and knee length dresses.

They study their American religion with the African people and make them give up their traditional clothes and make them wear the "JW appropriate" western clothing.

When these same relatives come back here for the assemblies, they are always wearing full on African garb and jewelery. His outfits always consist of a long brightly colored tunics and loose pajama like pants and a little circular cloth hat on the back of his head (even during the prayer). (Ever the smart a***, I always ask him why he isn't wearing a bone in his nose). She always has a brightly colored long wrapped dress over loose pants and huge matching headdress. The clothes are nice but they look ridiculous on blond people in a western U.S city, especially when they go somewhere to dinner. Talk about drawing attention to yourself.

Anyway, as far as banning things with Pagan origins, we weren't allowed to eat "Hot Cross Buns" because they had a religious (Easter) origin.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic thread!

Thanks to dariokehl...

yes, the ludicrous standards of what is right and wrong is laughable!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

The WTS senior cultists scour every single human practice in order to further ingratiate themselves into the cult persona.

Case in point is the aforementioned clinking of glasses.

One particular cultist leader (that is, an Elder) who, prior to, had somewhat of a successful business practice, at least once year, made a practice of commenting at KH meetings about business lunches whereby he declined to clink glasses with his worldly companions, and thereupon commenced detailing the horrific Satanic origin of the practice, that is, to chase away demons (shriek), as per WTS teaching.

However, what is of interest in googling (damn that Satan for creating Google) the actual origin of clinking glasses. ( https://www.google.com/search?q=why+clink+glasses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 )

(Brought to you by WT - we put the BS in WTBTS )

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The pioneer sister who studied with me had wind chimes AND a gazing ball.

A GAZING ball!! Isn't that what sorcerers, witches and fortunetellers employ?!?

Anyway, there's no logical explanation as to why some things of pagan origin are considered acceptable nor pattern of reason as to why some things are not. It's a craps shoot.

Now you just listen to what you are told to do and don't ask anymore questions!

• millie210
    millie210

The poor Witness people - sheeple (sheep people) or would that be weeple (witness people)

or maybe shweeple? Ok, never mind....

The point is they dont even know the origins of most things. They just want a little something in their lives and if they can have a Disney movie they are grateful. No windchimes? Well, thats a sacrifice they guess they should make.

I just cant believe that I used to struggle to split all those hairs and do all of that stuff as though it was important! gah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit