Shunned by ex-jw's

by Joey Jo-Jo 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

It's youtube. If someone isn't interested in your vidoes any longer, for whatever reason, that should be o.k. Were they personal friends? I could see then why you would be upset. But if they were simply subscribers, it's not personal. They don't agree with your point of view, and are moving on. And now you have gained new subscribers from this post! Hopefully that will make you feel better.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Ditto what OODAD wrote. Shunning is blindly following WTBTS commands to shun someone without thinking for yourself. Disagreeing with someone and no longer listening to another person's opinion is making a personal choice - it doesn't mean that a person is shunning another person.

IMHO the WTBTS teaches JWs to make broad digital generalizations (i.e., Good vs Bad, Black vs White) instead of encouraging JWs to think for themselves and understand the continuum of choices in life. How many exJWs still make decisions based on broad generalizations without researching details of issues?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

Thats not shunning. Maybe they just dont want to listen to what you have to say and that is everyones right. Its one thing to not want to listen to a persons opinions, its another thing entirely to compleatly ignore and regect a family member even if they are in desperate need of help from someone.

NOI

• krejames
    krejames

I'm now very upset that my Youtube channel has no subscribers whatsoever! I have been shunned by EVERYONE! Goodbye cruel world!

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Some of you are missing my point with ad hoc and strawmans, I wrote a huge post for this but acidently got delete lol.

Maybe when I get back home.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

00DAD wrote Maybe some of them are just not interested in what you have to say. That's not the same as shunning you.

There are a few things in your OP that don't make sense. How would an individual delete YOUR comments on YOUR YouTube channel?

I am using the word shunning loosely referring to those who unsub simply because they don't like what they are hearing, so you wrote Maybe some of them are just not interested in what you have to say, excuse the sarcasm but well duuuuuuhhhhhh lol, did you like it when jw's simply avoided and stopped talking to you? If you didn't then you follow a fallacy of reasoning, if your ok in " are just not interested in what you have to say " they you should be ok with jw's who " are just not interested in what you have to say ".

As for your second paragrah, I made comments on their channel and vids, not my own

NeonMadman wrote The door swings the other way too. As a Christian, I've had some ex-JW atheists defriend me on Facebook because they didn't like something that I posted that differed from their beliefs. The key is being willing to dialogue or remain friends with others even though you disagree in your beliefs. Unfortuantely, that is utterly contrary to what we were taught as JWs, and far too many ex-JWs of every persuasion simply haven't gotten it yet.

Indeed it does swing both ways, but during my 4 years on youtube I have seen a pattern among ex-jw christians, even on this forum we had lost some christians, but there are atheists who follow the same logical fallacy, althought the atheist group I am awarre of consists of many different ex-religions people who have a tendence to be more vocal, allow non monitored comments on youtube vids, with christians on youtube it is the exact opposite.

I dont think the key is to remain friends, I consider friendiship something genuine and not a tool to keep the peace, I am not saying that we should be rude and puffed up in pride but honest, also attacking an idea is not the same as attacking a person or a deity.

00DAD wrote Also, it is not logical to equate an individual's decision to dialogue or not with another individual with an institutional policy of shunning.

It follow's the same philisophical pattern to shunning and I never wrote anything about the institutional policy of shunning.

When a "loyal" JDub shuns someone they generally don't know why they do it, except that they are told to shun that person.

Yes they do, it might be their own made dogma but they do, it's because god told them so, it's because then don't want us to be a stumbling block.

Pyramid Scheme I agree with you.

Christ Alone wrote You're right. Many Christians are unwilling to examine their beliefs just as jws are not. And many Christians act incredibly immature. Some like to tell others that those with differing opinions are going to hell. It's a sad thin when I see this. And I'm a Christian too. Disappoints me sometimes.

I dont think ALL christians are like this, I dont think ALL atheists think like me either.

ruderedhead wrote If someone isn't interested in your vidoes any longer, for whatever reason, that should be o.k. Then jw's shunning you should be ok with you too.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

JJJ, Thanks for clarifying in reference to how your YouTube comments were deleted.

When I wrote, " When a 'loyal' JDub shuns someone they generally don't know why they do it, except that they are told to shun that person."

I meant that the individual JW does not know (or shouldn't) what "sin" the DF'd person allegedly committed which resulted in their being excommunicated. The individual JW shuns because they are told to shun. They don't individually decide whether or not to end the relationship, nor can they individually decide to restore the relationship. They are merely implementing a institutional policy.

When three elders decide to DF or DA someone, all 7 million JWs worldwide will obediently shun that person without ever knowing the actual reason for the elders' decision.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

00DAD

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

@ JJJ - "Then jw's shunning you should be ok with you too."

Excellent point. Because having all your family and friends treat you as if did not exist is exactly the same as someone unsubscribing from your YouTube channel.

That's an incredible lack of perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit