The stench of Amateur Bible auto-didacts!

by Terry 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I'm sure you've heard that old saying.

I live with my Cousin Debbie and her husband Bobby.

Let me tell you about Bobby!

When he puts something together there are parts left over. His remark is always: "Those aren't important anyway."

He was working on his truck radiator one day and couldn't make any progress. What did Bobby do? He took a wrench and beat the hell out of it.

Bobby is a do-it-yourself kind of person. His reason? "I ain't paying those idiots to overcharge me when I can do it just as good."

If you need a job done and it is outside your area of expertise you have 3 choices:

1.Call somebody who has been educated and trained to do it properly. Somebody with a warranty or guarantee.

2.Do it yourself (have parts left over)

3.Forget the damned thing (pretend it isn't important)

Let's face it, some areas of life are over run with amateurs trying to DO-IT-THEMSELVES!

The area this Topic of Discussion is most concerned with is the BIBLE auto-didact. The self-taught idiot who thinks they can do-it-themselves!

Before going into details let me state my prejudices up front (being an auto-didact myself!)

There is a reason why people go to college and study and earn a degree or a Doctorate. Actual authorities can TEST YOU to see if you are full of shit or not.

As a Jehovah's Witness I was polluted with a strange and putrifying concept: you DON'T need to go to college and earn a degree! Nothing is worse than a worldly, educated fool!

There is a phrase that best describes this concept: the blind leading the blind!

Therein lies the crux of this Topic!

Who is qualified to be an AUTHORITY on God, the Bible, interpretation (exegesis) or any "religious" subject???

Yes, there are plenty of Seminary courses with graduates qualified to read Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic.

Plenty of post doctorate work is done on the Early Church Father's writings.

Many professors spend their careers examining the documents that have been found as to which came from where and how.

But--STOP THE FRICKIN' MADNESS!!

There is nothing approaching an actual "science" of theology. Why? Science requires a testable hypothesis with a condition known as Falsifiability. You must be able to DISCONFIRM your own assertions somehow.

Further, there must exist a way of introducing PREDICTABILITY into the process.

This is why Economics fails as a Science. Everything in Economics is explained AFTER an event and never PRIOR.

But, I digress!

Willam Miller was a layperson from a family of Baptist Ministers. He had NO FORMAL SEMINARY TRAINING.

Yet, he sat down with his Bible and concordances and borrowed books from the family theology libray.

What did he come up with? AN ASSERTION! It was an astoudingly TESTABLE assertion, too!

"My principles in brief, are, that Jesus Christ will come again to this earth, cleanse, purify, and take possession of the same, with all the saints, sometime between March 21, 1843, and March 21, 1844"

Is that specific enough? Sure!

It was tested AND FAILED!

We know this by the phrase " THE GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT"

Miller was an auto-didact. He convinced thousands of people to leave mainstream churches and await the 2nd Coming of Christ. Did I mention IT DID NOT OCCUR?

This gave birth to other auto-didacts and a movement known as ADVENTISM.

Charles Taze Russell is a name we all recognize. He fell in with the same kind of self-taught conviction that actual historical dates could be gleaned from scripture (and Pyramidology too).

Russell, as we are all well aware, made specific predictions for 1914 WHICH DID NOT OCCUR either. Oh, he "spiritualized" Christ's coming, sure. "He's invisable". But, no Armageddon, rapture, destruction of religion, etc.

Judge Rutherford, a lawyer, became a religious auto-didact along with Fred Franz and invented a religion known as JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.

Rutherford gave sermons: MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE connected with a specific date of 1925 for the resurrection of the dead. "I made an ass of myself" was the conclusion of that idea!

None of this is news to any of us. So, why bring it up again?

Not only is this Discussion Group filled with people who themselves have become religous auto-didacts, one group continues to debate and harangue the other group ad infinitum!!

The name-calling, locked-down threads, temper flare-ups have gone on for years and years and years.

WHY?

I place the blame on one thing and one thing only.

Let's discuss that one thing, shall we?

Many things can be self-taught. Theology reeks from the stench of Amateur Bible auto-didacts.

Nobody can successfully teach themselves Theology.

Why?

Theology is not a science. It is an artificial construct. A fancy way of saying "OPINION".

You can't become an expert on another person's opinion. But, you can get way lost creating your own and buying in to it!

AN AMATEUR TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THINGS using the skills of bootstrap thinking cannot lift himself or herself above the ground!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Are you saying that there are no PROFESSIONAL Bible Auto-Didacts either?

• jgnat
    jgnat

No damn good amateurs?

• Terry
    Terry

Are you saying that there are no PROFESSIONAL Bible Auto-Didacts either?

Just the opposite!

The Bible is not theology!

Only the components are fit topics of academic credentials!

RELIGION: CHRISTIANITY is almost entirely built upon bootstrap thinking and auto-didact nonsense passed on and retaught and expanded.

Stray outside of Languages, archaeology, paleontology, early writings, transmission of text, etc and you land in GOOFYVILLE!

In other words: who said and did what is not the same as THIS IS TRUE AND ONLY THIS.

AMATEURS are people at a certain level of understanding who cannot possibly properly evaluate ABOVE that level!

Only their ego and self-confidence convince them they are capable and up to the task.

There is a proper discipline to study which escapes their notice.

Pastor Russell was called out in a courtroom on his understanding of Greek and he made a fool of himself.

Why was that relevent? He injected the "meaning" of Greek words into his Theology such as "parousia".

Was he qualified to invent a NEW way of translating Christ's 2nd coming as Christ's "arrival"? NO!

IS the Watchtower Society qualified to translate the scriptures into the New World Translation and come up with "was A god" instead of "was god"? NO.

But--you see--they do. And they justify and defend it constantly. THEY AREN'T QUALIFIED!

When I was a JW I stupidly parroted the nonsense of "the cross wasn't a cross" because "stauros" meant "torture stake" and "xylos" mean "a tree" blah blah blah.

I didn't know what the hell I was talking about!! I was braying like an ass! I took it to be true on TRUST.

A proper education needs more than self-confidence and trust.

Ex-JW's fall into the same stupid trap of thinking they can argue theology with each other when they've never graduated from a credible seminary in the subject they are defending.

It is called "hubris".

As far as I know, the only person with credentials to expound upon here on JWnet is Leoleia.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You haven't read broadly enough, then Terry. Ann O'Maly's work is very good.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The musician Frank Zappa was noted for his exhortation, "Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system. Forget about the Senior Prom and go to the library and educate yourself if you've got any guts. Some of you like Pep rallies and plastic robots who tell you what to read."

I found this on Wikipedia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The Bible is not theology!

Quite correct.

Theology is interpretation of the bible AND the traditions of those that followed it and have hand those traditions down to us.

Leo is one of the few people here that I read every post she writes.

Ann is another but I didn'r realize she had a book !

Do tell Jgnat !

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would argue that a seminary education would slant the student to the seminary's slant. What leolaia does is carefully check, double-check and cite her sources. Good, solid scholarly work. Leolaia can correct me if I overstep here, but I think she has some great training in linguistics and logic. Learning how to do solid scholarly research should be the object of every university education. But I suspect it is not.

• jgnat
    jgnat

PSacramento, I meant read here. I don't know if Ann O'Maly has written a book.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I would argue that a seminary education would slant the student to the seminary's slant. What leolaia does is carefully check, double-check and cite her sources. Good, solid scholarly work. Leolaia can correct me if I overstep here, but I think she has some great training in linguistics and logic. Learning how to do solid scholarly research should be the object of every university education. But I suspect it is not.

Can't speak for Leolaia, but the univerist I take my theology course in is very open to all denominations and we even have a few "agnostics" in there too.

The are open to liberal, orthodox and fundmenatalist views on doctrines.

I strive to be a student worthy of the teachings of the likes of the late Bruce Metzger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit