They were out New years morning, I couldn,t believe it.

by jam 21 Replies latest jw friends

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't remember if I ever went out on New Years Day, but if I did, I'd like to express my apologies to all those who I disturbed.

• ssn587
    ssn587

I went out with my daughters once we placed over 70 mags and were invited in in several places, also had two bloody marys too boot. we didnt start until 11am and i couldnt believe the amount of people that were up and kind at the same time. for me the bloody marys were the best part of the morning. that was the last time we ever went out on the holidays. of course the book study conductor who suggested it along with the MS at the book study failed toshow me and daughters were the only ones out that day..

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    I don't remember if I ever went out on New Years Day, but if I did, I'd like to express my apologies to all those who I disturbed.

Ditto.

• donny
    donny

They were out in my neighborhood as well peddling The Watchtower en espanol.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... when I was a teenager - yeah. For several years, too. Out there door-knocking at some ungodly hour, waking up folks that had celebrated late into the night. (Didn't they label it as 'special service day', or somesuch?)

But... thinking about it... there were one or two reasons for it...

1) Because my mom made us get up that early, get dressed, and took us to the kh for service. (I think there was more than one time that she ducked out with an 'I have things to do - but you need to represent the family' excuse.)

2) Because, I was starved for friends - had no kids my age that I could hang out with - unless they were JWs - and even then, the pickins were mighty slim. But it got me out of the house, and away from my mother and siblings, with the chance to be with an adult for a couple of hours... let's face it... much of the morning was spent either in the car driving to/from the territory, and the rest of the time was spent walking between doors. This meant there was a lot of time to socialize (if you can call it that).

What I remember from those Jan 1 days are spotting all of the fireworks residue on the streets and sidewalks. Mostly exploded firecrackers. Some firecrackers though, still intact with little, or no fuse sticking out. I pocketed those firecrackers, and started a collection. I put them into a baggie when I got home. My intention was to, someday, carefully open them up, and extract the powder inside, using it for some fireworks of my own.

I never did though, and kept the firecrackers for many years. I think I finally threw them away.

But, yeah... I was one of them crazy door-knockers that more than one homeowner shook their fists at for waking them up so early on a Jan 1st morning.

Regards,

Jim TX

• DNCall
    DNCall

When earning one's salvation, the greater the inconvenience to oneself the greater the reward. Don't worry about inconveniencing others.

• wasblind
    wasblind

What can they say on to the householder on New Years Day ???

Hello, I'm Willie the Witless Witness, and I have no damn sense at all

That's why I'm here at your door this mornin'

Did you know that Bible chronology pinpointed the time of the end ?

And accordin' to our calculation, I'm supposed to be through wit' this shit

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I did Thanksgiving Day once and regret it. At least then, people are up and about fixing the turkey and you are not waking people up--still a disruption and still holding people up (at least you are not holding children up from opening up their presents as for Christmas). Also, at least on Christmas, though it is still rude and you can give children a dreary Christmas, you are not waking people up.

For New Year's, I generally allow at least 2 hours extra time before waking people up with noise. If people are usually up and about by 8 AM, for New Year's Day, I will expect the same activity around 10 AM. People usually stay up later than normal on New Years Eve, and it is common sense to not wake people up at 9:30 in the morning that day. Which the witlesses do--giving them that extra 30 minutes is simply not good enough when people stay up to watch the new year come in that usually go to bed around 10 PM.

• j dubb
    j dubb

Yes, used to go out on holidays. I think we gave them an extra 30 minutes to 'sleep in'...

It's what they do.

What we do is what we do
    It's all the same, there's nothing new
    What we do is what we do
    It's turnin' 'round on me and you
    What we do is what we do
    Just different names, it's nothing new
    What we do is what we do
    'Cause all we do is what we do

Gamin', prayin', believin', maintainin'
    Textin', electin', rejectin', infectin'

• Think About It
    Think About It

The JW gets some of their time quota in, and gets to brag about witnessing on New Year's Day. That's what the cult is all about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit