Do we need to know? Are we trapped in the thought?

by cyberjesus 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

thanks i will.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I only came on here because a JW friend got in touch after 23 years of me being out and I didn't know why. Still don't but I will continue writing and maybe I will find out. It could be any of the doctrinal changes or something else entirely. Meanwhile I have got rather hooked on this site.

Cyber, I do get bored with the endless God versus atheism threads and as you say find discussing it a waste of time. I wont change anyone so why try. Also I understand why people hate superstition because of what we have all been through becuase of being forced to accept ancient mythology and no-one wants to be tricked again. I totaslly get that. Sometimes though rabid rationalism bores me too. Look at these comments in yesterday's Guardian about the Large Hadron Collider

"Unlike supersymmetry or the Higgs, there's no theory of antimatter that we can test," says Tara Shears, a physicist who works on the LHCb detector. "We don't know why antimatter behaves a little differently to normal matter, but perhaps that difference can be explained by a deeper underlying theory of particle physics, which includes new physics that we haven't found yet." ...

"What you'd expect is that as you reach the right energy, you suddenly see inside the extra dimensions, and gravity becomes big and strong instead of feeble and weak," says Parker. The sudden extra pull of gravity would cause particles to scatter far more inside the machine, giving scientists a clear signal that extra dimensions were real.

Extra dimensions may separate us from realms of space we are completely oblivious to. "There could be a whole universe full of galaxies and stars and civilisations and newspapers that we didn't know about," says Parker. "That would be a big deal."

I find that when physicists write about what we know of reality and what we don't know they are very humble.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

at the end we find out we really know nothing :)

• poppers
    poppers

cyberjesus, it's my feeling you are now closer to truth than ever. Yes, at the end we find out we really know nothing; believe it or not, that's a good place to be because it leaves you open to seeing and experiencing life without a filter of ideas to distort that seeing; it leaves you in a state of innocence. The problem with religion is that it convinces people they are the repository of truth and followers must regulate their life and thought processes according to the dictates of that religion. But really religion boils down to a bunch of BELIEFS/thoughts/ideas, beliefs which get debated back and forth as though truth resides within them. Perhaps whatever "truth" is has nothing whatsoever to do with beliefs/ideas. Laying aside all beliefs and ideas about "truth" is, in my opinion, a good first step in seeing life with clarity, in seeing life as it actually is in this very moment. Being fully present to this moment AS IT IS removes the mind from the picture. That's a good thing because mind is the battlefield of competing beliefs/ideas, not only among people but within ourselves. Without the mind we remove the bars of the prison within which we have become trapped..

• d
    d

The more we learn the less we know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit