Interesting District Convention News.....

by Pyramid Scheme 42 Replies latest jw friends

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

You know how the WT LOVES to gloat about conventions

Did your kingdom hall have that framed photo of the 1958 Divine Will assembly with something like 200,000 attendees between Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds? You bet they love to gloat. Hurray for us!

• moshe
    moshe

You know, with 8 to 10 weeks of continuous WT conventions at the same location, it would pay to put up a nice billboard for the JWs- Hmm, what to say, what to say-

• Pyramid Scheme
    Pyramid Scheme

Hmm, what to say, what to say

I love it - its right off of a major freeway and there occasionally was a billboard for rent at that exit.....the reason I remember is that we used to joke about it when going there.

I once said it should have a sign that said "Welcome to another weekend shot to hell" (that went over with dead silence in the car - haha)

"Millions Now Living May Never Live"

"Your Religion is the biggest Snare and Racket"

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have a small Family of 3. Last year it cost me over $500.00 to attend a convention. That is gas, food and Hotel. I have no idea how much was contributed at the convention because I let my wife handle it. I had to lose a paid vacation day as well. Also, because of working at one DC, I went to another to get the " spiritual food " I missed. How much was conributed at that DC? I have no idea.

The good news is that I have a more hands on approach to contributions now. I volunteer to " take care of it ". I am interested to see what are next accounts report says. They just lost another $60 bucks last week. I may be trapped for now, but that doesn't mean they are getting my money. They already have free use of one of my vehicles that my wife takes in service. It costs about $70 to fill up, plus wear and tear. if it breaks down is the WTBTS going to help defray the costs so that my wife can have a service vehicle? I highly doubt that any of the friends give my wife gas money. So far I am saving quite a bit of money by " taking care of it " as the spiritual head of the house.

If they WTBTS tries to do the tithing thing or pressures a direct deposit method, or sets up a card swiper in the KH, then I will have to make a public stand. Until then the fade continues. Any Fading JW wives who are reading this and have control over the contributions, stop contributing. YHWH does not need your money, your family and your needy neighbors do.

Peace,

DD

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I like the idea of putting something on a billboard, but feel that it should be short and sweet. Something like a web address. Perhaps...

www.jwfiles.com

...or some other site that is not known as an 'apostate' site, and that the curious young ones will look up later.

• MaybeSo
    MaybeSo

Actually, in Texas they have started doing that. They stadium type conventions still happen but only where there are too many assemblies scheduled or something. Nevertheless, DCs are being held more and more in the assembly hall where I live.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I have always heard, atleast about a few assembly halls that I know of, that they are already too busy, I don't see how they can handle more usage.

But that would be a good execuse to build more.

• besty
    besty

Hayes Bridge in the UK (one of 2 AH's in the London area) was used for DC's in 2012.

Does kill the fun quite a bit compared to a stadium...

• sd-7
    sd-7

Really? I hope this is at least the new protocol in the U.S. It would save me a heck of a lot of money, hundreds of dollars that could go to paying down our debt (or at least a Kindle Fire HD or somethin'). My wife better get her butt to the meeting tonight to find out! I've got 'Fellowship of the Ring' Extended Edition watching to do! Nah, jokin'. I hope this happens in my area, the assembly is such a short drive for me compared to the nightmare of fighting traffic for 2-5 hours to get to Richmond...

--sd-7

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

They've had to do that in New York City area for years now. Fill up the AHs year 'round instead of search for someplace they could use cheap.

From my estimation, it was easier and the bOrg could keep more money. But it wasn't much different than a run of the mill circuit event. And for singles, you were now stuck looking around the same shallow gene pool in the same AH scenery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit