Why I`m not against the death penalty....one reason...their are more

by smiddy 25 Replies latest social current

• finally awake
    finally awake

In cases where there is absolutely no possibility that the person was wrongly convicted, I'm all for the death penalty. However, in cases where guilt isn't 100% certain, I think the death penalty should be suspended.

• dmouse
    dmouse

<<No semantics. Men are caught and PROVEN to be the gang rapist violent killers. Death or not?>>

Not.

I have become aware over the last few years of a cultural difference between the British and American way of thinking about convicts. Once someone is convicted in America that's it - no hint of doubt. I think it is a particularly difficult concept for Americans to handle but, I'm certain there are many innocent people in jail who have been 'proved' guilty in a court of law. Personally, I don't have that level of confidence in any system run by men with all their prejudices, failings, weaknesses, laziness and downright incompetence.

Even if it was 'proven' I do not believe that the death penalty (Life-time imprisonment, yes) can be part of a civilised society.

Is it even logical? - 'It is wrong to kill. You have killed, therefore I'm going to kill you'.

An 'eye for an eye' type justice sytem is barbaric and should be relegated to our historic past. It is a common axiom that 'two wrongs don't make a right', and I feel uncomfortable about sinking to the same depths as the worst examples of the human species. WE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THEM.

Of course, I understand the emotional need to punish, to lash out, to beat the shit out of those responsible for this heinous crime. I feel the same way, I have those same emotions. But if it is wrong to kill then it is wrong (unless as a last resort in the heat of self defence).

It is a normal and quite understandable reaction to such evil to want to expunge it completely, and also to make the perpetrators understand, somehow, our depth of anger and hatred of what they have done as we punish them. But, in the long run, I believe it only lessens us, reduces us, eats away at us and makes us less civilised when we resort to deliberate execution.

• Think About It
    Think About It

dmouse......I respect your well thought out & expressed personal opinion.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I say strip 'em butt naked wet and set 'em outside for three hours at a time In freezin' weather

let 'em thaw out then repeat

In hot weather, set 'em out butt naked , hang a queen bee around their necks

I say torture is the best way to go

• Think About It
    Think About It

Wasblind.......very creative, and possibly a deterent to other criminals. I'm more towards the death penalty.......mainly for justice to the victims whose lives were taken, but also to keep the costs and comsuming of resources down.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Now that we can prove usin' DNA excatly who commited the crime. I don't see why we should

house and feed the perps. Citizens who up hold the law, have to pay their own rent

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    I don't see why we should
    house and feed the perps.

Makes for great television. Could watch LockUp all day.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It does seem unfair to keep people a live who have supposedly committed horrendous crimes against civil abiding citizens .. BUT

1. some people who have been convicted of murder were later found to be innocent and released .... a big oops

2. if they were guilty of their crimes what is more of a penalty to endure, having to be put asleep in similar fashion of what would happen

in a hospital setting or have these people live in small jail cell for the rest of their entire lives ??

As for this terrible incident what happened in India and my thoughts too were put those perpetrators to death as well.

One can assume that since this one particular incident has drawn so much outrage particularly in India but also around the world that these guys

are going to spend the rest of their lives in a prison cell.

Maybe now backward countries like India who have been slow to respect the human rights and dignity of woman in their society will equal that of

the rest of the worlds countries.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

IMO, the best argument against capital punishment is that it is too much power to entrust to a government. For as long as rulers have had the power of life and death, some have abused it, at times frightfully so. A ruler who is trustworthy today could be tomorow's despot. Nowhere can one be complacent: it has happened in monarchies and republics, it has happened on the left and on the right, it has happened in countries great and small, it has happened before, it will happen again, and it is happening in our own day. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

This doesn't mean that some criminals don't deserve to be executed; the argument is that we should not allow those who aspire to rule over others the power of life and death.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Thank you ThinkAboutIt, I hope I also demonstrated that I understand and respect your personal opinion too.

Good point GLTirebiter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit