? Curious: How many Jehovah's Witnesses leave to join "non-christian" religions, ie; Wicca, Pagan, Satanists, Buddists, Hindu, etc. ?

by Balaamsass 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

It may seem a strange question, but when I served as an Elder I personally knew of about a dozen Elders and servants children who joined various Wicca groups or became Buddists rather than leave to become agnostic or another "Christian" denomination.

The ones who became involved with Witchcraft did so in groups of JW children intregued by all the talk of Satan's and the Demon's power etc. in the org.

The future Buddists seemed turned off by the politics, and mean spiritness in halls.

I just thought of this after seeing the new dismal Yearbook numbers and looking at facebook pages of some of the ex JWs I know.

Was this simply a California thing or is it worldwide?

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

I'm Buddhist and Pagan. It just made more sense to me. Once I found that the JW was lying, I did research on other religions for myself. Pagan is not a bad word, just like apostate.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Queen what part of the world are you in?

What appealed to you?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

It may seem a strange question, but when I served as an Elder I personally knew of about a dozen Elders and servants children who joined various Wicca groups or became Buddists rather than leave to become agnostic or another "Christian" denomination.

JWs are not a Christian denomination they are more like Buddist or any of the rest of the works based religions.

• cyberjesus
  • tiki
    tiki

seriously?!? all i'm left with is a complete antipathy for organized religion. i like the idea of the chakras, yin/yang....zen....yoga....but not as a religion per se.....................i still do want to go to a religious service in one of the large grand ancient cathedrals - such as in Britain.....just for the experience.............maybe someday.....................

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I'm an atheist but buddhism appeals to me more than any other religion.

• only me
    only me

I guess you could say I'm a pagan Christian. I am a solitary in that I'm not a member of any group but I have many friends on different pagan paths.

I have always loved nature and even as a small child collected crystals and rocks. It never made sense to me that there would be God the Father without a Goddess the Mother. When I was 13, I read a book about Wicca and I knew that I was pagan but I fought it for many years, what if the Witnesses were right? I still read everything I could get my hands on even though I was baptised and trying to be a good Witness.

Many years later, I think I have come home spiritually. Gratitude and personal accountability is of paramount importance in most pagan traditions. " Do what you will except it harm none" and the three and ninefold rules are usually taken very seriously. The sabbats and celebrations are ways of showing gratitude and wonderful ways to bring a family together.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pagan, a little bit. No religion, just into the spiritual aspect. Maybe, it's like zen or taoism - doing the right things the right way, type of thing.

S

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yup, before walking out I was very puzzled by the evil spirit present and operating in a high number (but small percentage) of JWs - especially in the ruling religious clergy class.

I have quit religion in favour of faith and spirituality based on the "unabridged gospel" or "full Good News" known to Jews as Bissar, and to Muslims as Injeel or Injil.

I now identify as a SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious) Christian, Jew and Muslim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit