Do they still follow the same backwards policy on AIDS?

by Chaserious 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• l p
    l p

I agree with you they wouldn't be able to sue the individuals as its personal choice who you invite over. But they can sue the organisation for promoting this kind of discrimination which affects their ability to have a life and function normally within that group...there would be a case for that..

im not convinced the pools are chlorinated. Because they would fill them up during the morning talks. And then after adding chlorine they would have to test the level of chlorination before they let public in...thats part of the public health recommendations at least here in Australia. And our public health stuff is based on the CDC guidelines.

I got dunked in 1994 so maybe its changed since then

and i dont remember being asked a question about communicable diseases. Was i before this time?

Lp

• Open mind
    Open mind

The last DC dunking I was involved in was around 2003-2004. The "No Dunkees with AIDS in the main pool" ban was still in effect.

Don't know about the book study part though.

om

• l p
    l p

i would hazard a guess that the pools arent chlorinated thats why the policy

• l p
    l p

does anyone have any connections to find out for sure?

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

In Akron Ohio, the city pool was drained because a dead man with AIDS was found in it. The city scrubbed the pool and refilled it. I don't know if the person bled out into the pool or what the situation was, but it was rather odd, with the Health Authorities saying you couldn't get AIDS this way or that way, or whatever, then the City drains the pool...this occurred in the 1990's. People were still phobic about AIDS then and an infected person's life span was much shorter than it is now, with antiviral drugs and all. Maybe the WTBTS didn't want a mutiny of brothers refusing to baptise anyone for fear of contracting AIDS.

Has there been an official update since then? People in general seem to be less afraid of contracting AIDS than they were in the 1980 and 1990s.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

These questions were added in 1996, so I guess that's when they started asking them. I was dunked in 1996, coincidentally, and I don't remember this question, but it's not something that would have left much of an impression at the time, I suspect. I was dunked in a pool in a JW-owned assembly hall, where the pool was always kept filled, so maybe they kept those chlorinated, but not pools in rental halls or stadiums. BTW, the letter reads in part:

" To assist the elders in providing guidance for those with a communicable and potentially fatal disease who request baptism, the following additional questions are to be reviewed with candidates for baptism. In addition to this letter, an insert for the Our Ministry book outlining this information will soon be provided for each elder.

When covering question 4 on page 191 under the subheading "Sanctity of Life," be sure to include the following questions:

(a) What responsibility rests upon a person who is infected with a communicable disease that is potentially fatal?

Keeping an eye, not in personal interest upon just your own matters but also in personal interest upon those ofthe others.-Phil. 2:4.

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them.-Matt. 7:12.

(b) To avoid transmitting a potentially fatal disease to others, (I) why would it be better for an infected person not to initiate public

displays of affection such as hugging and kissing?
    (2) why would it be best to attend the Congregation Book Study at the

Kingdom Hall, if at all possible?
    (3) why should infected ones not react negatively when some choose not to

invite them into their homes?
    (4) why would it be wise to choose voluntarily to have a blood test before

beginning a courtship?

When covering Question 3 on page 217, be sure to ask the following question: (a) If one has a communicable disease, why is letting the presiding overseer

know about it before that one gets baptized the loving thing to do?"

• l p
    l p

If the pool is chlorinated and tested before it is used and meets the appropriates standards set by the countries public health unit then there is no risk if the person does not have any wound, diarrhoea or bleeding.

It is not required to disclose such information.

This process is only there to set up for discriminatory behaviour of other members to the person infected.

I am a Clinical Nurse Consultant in Infection Control B.N, CIC, G.C.IC

This is purely discrimination and if the pool is chlorinated and kept appropriately id encourage person infected to sue.

Lp

• l p
    l p

this f###ing borg makes my blood boil

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

my thoughts:

1. thats gotta be one huge bathtub to dunk someone.

2. Isnt there another way to make the pool sanitary w/o chlorine. I thought there were other chemicals less abrasive.

3. Perhaps the cong. in Africa and other countries with high pop. of aids victims got letters and added it to THEIR babtism questions.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Last I checked that hygiene baptismal question is still there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit