Going to a quiet worldly party. What to talk about?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Awww... this is heartwarming. :)

Does your host/hostess know your background? I find myself swooping in and diverting attention when people ask my boyfriend questions with respect to politics or holidays in social situations.

If you're the new gal in the group, they'll want to get to know you. Stay with safe subjects... your job, restaurants you've never been to... "has anyone been to that new restaurant called...X? What's it like?"

I love LG's suggestion too. That's safe. :)

If you have kids, mention them - if not, ask another about theirs.

You'll be fine!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Age ranges?

In female small group conversation? Let the dominant females dominate and just observe. The people watching will be fun too.... :)

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Thank you all, for your advise.

I found out that a Worldly/Normal party, is not unlike a JW party/gathering.

The big difference, in polite society, being, NO discussions based on religion. How refreshing!

Thank you again for all of your responses and suggestions.

I had a nice time.

Just Lois

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find what works well is to bring up happy type subjects that people like talking about or have in common. I know that for guys, it different than for women. For example, among guys, talking about women or booze is a good conversation promoter. So, just think about what the women in the group like talking about, if you are talking w women. Is it men, their kids, christmas, jewelry, beauty tricks? Just stay away from negative topics. People will tend to associate you w what subjects you bring up. Not that i'm a socialite, or anything. Just some basic stuff.

S

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Sounds good, Louise! When I left I fount out it is important to just stay relaxed! Worldley peopla are nicer than you think! :-)

• jgnat
    jgnat

The great majority of people will mark someone down as a "great conversationalist" if all they do is take an active interest. Ask questions, be curious. They'll never notice how little you say about yourself.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I went to a 'Year End Party' for my spouse's job two weeks ago (they changed the name of from x-mas to end of year for the benefit of my hubby) and had a great time! Everyone was extremely nice, interesting, talked about traveling, talked about the company, what the spouses did for work, decorating. The sales woman's husband had on a beautiful watch with Masons symbols on it, I asked him about it and had a nice conversation with him about the Masons.

I got invited to the owners vacation home, any time I was in that part of the US, they even gave me a card with their email and cell phone info to make sure I contact them in that event.

I now have several new Facebook friends from this event.

Just be yourself, take an interest in others and you will be fine!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Where did you GET that sweater?

Boating? Really? What is that like? Do you go on the open ocean? How do you pack for that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit