An interesting article on scientific explanations of near-death / out-of-body experiences

by cedars 95 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I've been doing quite a bit of research into books recently, and I've noticed that the book "Proof of Heaven" is selling very strongly at the moment. It's currently No.1 in the New York Times bestseller list for nonfiction paperbacks.

The book is by a qualified Neurosurgeon who converted to religious faith after going into a coma and having what he later described as an experience of heaven, which he elaborates on in great detail in the book. He argues that the experience must have been supernatural, because his cerebral cortex was "offline" for the duration of his vision.

Proof of Heaven

Now Oliver Sacks MD, a Professor of Neurology, has written an excellent article discussing OBEs (Out of Body Experiences) and NDEs (Near Death Experiences) from a scientific perspective. In particular, Sacks scrutinizes Dr Alexander's claims and comes up with a plausible hypothesis that the best selling author, despite his medical credentials, has inexplicably overlooked.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/12/seeing-god-in-the-third-millenium/266134/

I thought I would call attention to the book and article for those interested in this sort of thing.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cedars,

If you haven't already, read "Paranormality" by Professor Richard Wiseman. You can actually create your own "out of body experience" using a simply excercise in this book.

• designs
    designs

There are good articles on how the mind organizes information. Heaven strangely enough takes on cultural and religious biases.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

have you read the 23 min in hell?

• cedars
    cedars

unstopableravens

Nope, but it sounds like a cheerful read!

cantleave

If you haven't already, read "Paranormality" by Professor Richard Wiseman. You can actually create your own "out of body experience" using a simply excercise in this book.

Thanks, I might check that out.

Cedars

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

No, though I've lived 20 years in JW hell.

• cantleave
  • unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

yeah we all could write about our jw hell lol

• cofty
    cofty

You might enjoy this review by Sam Harris...

So, although I am an atheist who can be expected to be unforgiving of religious dogma, I am not reflexively hostile to claims of the sort Alexander has made. In principle, my mind is open. (It really is.)

But Alexander’s account is so bad—his reasoning so lazy and tendentious—that it would be beneath notice if not for the fact that it currently disgraces the cover of a major newsmagazine. Alexander is also releasing a book at the end of the month, Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife, which seems destined to become an instant bestseller. As much as I would like to simply ignore the unfolding travesty, it would be derelict of me to do so. more...

And this article titled "Science on the Brink of Death"....

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Haters gonna hate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit