Leaving JWs/Christianity reading list

by Captain Obvious 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Part of this has been discussed to death on here but here goes.

Since waking up, I've read or listened to:

Crisis of Conscience

In Search of Christian Freedom

Combatting Cult Mind Control

The Gentile Times Reconsidered

Captives of a Concept

Freedom of Mind

I'd say that pretty well covers the bases for any leaving JW like myself. I never held my beliefs all that dearly, and now having begun to think critically, consider facts objectively and base decisions on that... I feel myself drawing towards atheism/agnosticism. Clearly evolution did/does happen. I hate ALL religion, it poisons everything.. Seriously. Show me ONE good one. I also feel that if there is a god, he's clearly lazy, heartless and doesn't deserve worship. He has some 'splaining to do if he ever decides to show up on the scene.

For a while I've tried to hold off on this because I feel that my views won't help me wake my wife up... I now see no point in denying it. I cannot believe in a creator. The bible is hardly worth the paper it's printed on.

So lets compile a list of books for someone in my situation, shall we? I have read/listened to so far:

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond

The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins

I have also downloaded The Greatest Show On Earth for after the blind watchmaker.

Where should I go from here? A few months ago I may have wanted to read some books about how the bible is bunk, but now I honestly don't care.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Oh and before unstopableravens comes on here to plead with me to come to Jesus...

I gave the whole come to Jesus thing an honest try. Ater reading ISOCF I was all fired up and began reading the bible everyday, enjoying it at first. According to the NT a Christian is just tied to Jesus, no church/cult needed. Unfortunately the more one digs into the bible, the more it presents itself as a big book of self-contradictory riddles and myths. If an all-powerful deity were to compile a set of writings, one would expect them not to be written in riddles. Especially when he'll kill you if you don't accept his riddle book.

Sorry bud, I'm not buying it. Besides, evolution is a beautiful process. Learning about it gives a sense of peace, finally finding the truth.

• designs
    designs

CO- you've gone and done it now and we have a whole new batch of Converters, you're in the cross+hairs kid and its Christmas...good luck

• 88JM
    88JM

If we're thinking about all the books that you can now read coming out of being a JW, you could also go down the 50 Shades of Grey, Lady Chatterley avenue...

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

88JM that kind of book doesn't interest me personally, but thanks for the suggestions

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Merry Christmas Captain Obvious.

You will have a pm in just a minute or two.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

lol thanks for the shotout! today i just hope can enjoy there day off work,(unless ur part of the few who has to work than enjoy work)

• Aware!
    Aware!

My list of books includes those, but I haven't even finished one of them, not even Crisis of Conscience. I can't get myself to finish reading CoC because I also just don't care anymore. I've read plenty on JWN to deprogram me.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

okay pleading time please please please co come to jesuslol on a serious note i have read coc it was very well writen and honest, was in search of christian freedom as good?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Add "The God Delusion" by Dawkins. That will put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit