For JWs: Bible Verses Contradict Watchtower

by ABibleStudent 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Have you ever wanted to have a witty comeback for a JW's thought stopping platitude or slogun, but couldn't think of one to plant a seed of doubt in a JW?

Please share your witty comebacks and a Bible verse(s) that contradicts Watchtower thought stopping platitudes and slogans.

Here are a couple of mine.

1) Watchtower Thougnt-Stopping Platitude - "Where else will we go?"

Response - "Don't you mean to whom? According to the Bible go to Jesus Christ and not to an organization. Have you read John 6:61-69?

1984 NIV Bible John 6:61-69:

61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit [e] and they are life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.”

2) Watchtower Thought-Stopping Platitude - "The light keeps getting brighter!"

Response - "If God is perfect and doesn't change, how can the light get brighter by the Watchtower changing its doctrines? Have you read James 1:16-18? How can the Watchtower be God's organization on earth with its flip-flopping changes in doctrine?"

1984 NIV James 1:16-18

"16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created."

3) Watchtower Slogan - "Millions Now Living Will Live Forever! (and Billions of non-JWs will die!)"

Response - "Don't you mean billions will live forever in the spirit? According to 1 John 2:1-2, Jesus Christ sacrifice atoned for the sins of the whole world."

1984 NIV 1 John 2:1-11

"2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for [ a ] the sins of the whole world."

3 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4 The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love [ b ] is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him [ c ] to make him stumble. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.

Please share other witty comebacks to Watchtower platitudes, slogans, and miss quoting scripture in the Watchtower and Awake! publications in this thread.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• whathappened
    whathappened

Liked the come backs. Hope I have the opportunity to use them.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, at the meeting today a sister was commenting and said that Jesus is our Lord. Everyone head-bobbed of course. I was doing my usual routine, hi-lighting my Bible and NOT answering at the WT study. So right there in the WT was Luke 6:46 " "Why, then, do YOU call me 'Lord! Lord!' but do not do the things I say? " There are so many ways to go with that! What does Jesus say about being born again? What does Jesus say about judging others? There were numerous other examples throughout the " study " of the Bible WATCHTOWER.

At our last CA, the Circuit Overseer said that worldly peoples minds were blinded by Satan! " They can't even understand a scripture read right from the Bible! " What about John 3:3? Can that C.O understand what is written? John 3:3 "In answer Jesus said to him: "Most truly I say to you, Unless anyone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Maybe you could ask a JW if Jesus is their lord? Then ask if they are a domestic? ( new light ) Then ask how can Jesus be the mediator for only domestics who, according to the new light, have a heavenly hope, and not be the mediator for the rest of the domestics? Especially when God's word says " For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,".

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head. BTW, an Elder on the CA program said " where " instead of " whom " shall we go away to.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Watchtower Thought-Stopping Platitude - "the anointed".

It is used to indicate a group of fallen humans we should take direction from and under whose authority we should place ourselves (a surreptitious clergy class).

They have been caught with their pants down on this one, and may have stopped using it? Maybe this is part of the "new light" on the FDS?

In the New Covenant scriptures "the anointed" (ho Kristos) is always correctly translated as "the Christ" even in the badly mangled NWT (157 occurrences).

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

Marking for reading later

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Watchtower: "But if we were to draw away from Jehovah'sorganization, there would be no place else to go for salvation and true joy." (w93 09/15, p.22) Salvation and survival of Armageddon only comes to those baptized as associates and members of the Watch Tower organization and the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Destruction will come to all those not associated with "God's spirit-directed organization". TM

Bible: [Regarding Jesus Christ] "Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved." (Acts 4:12) Salvation is not possible by persons or organizations on earth -no "name under heaven." Isn't 'Watch Tower' an organization and a name under heaven that has been given among men - Yes or No?

Simply point out that Watch Tower is an organization under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved. This is in direct conflict with the Holy Scriptures. A Witness may start squirming at this point or desparately say something to the effect that the name was divinely appointed or given; however, even so, it remains a name under heaven. No escaping that obvious point.

If a Witness tries to somehow argue an exception to this directly stated verse, simply point that we should then be able to make exceptions with another directly stated verse in Acts... Acts 15:28 regarding abstaining from Blood. At this point, you can just sit back and watch their head explode.

Also, for extra credit, point out the statement made by TheWatchtower magazine: "We cannot take part in any modern version of idolatry -be it worshipful gestures toward an image or symbol or the imputing of salvation to a person or an organization." (w90 11/1 p. 25) If that statement is true (and it is actually), then one does not have to be a member of the organization in order to obtain salvation.

Have fun folks!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Excellent Darth Rutherford - Thank you.

• Ding
    Ding

Granted, the following example involves quoting out-of-context, but it's the sort of proof-texting the WT engages in all the time:

"We are the only religion that goes door to door preaching the good news."

In Luke 10:7, Jesus said: "Do not be transferring from house to house."

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

who else is preaching the good news of the kingodom? hmm how do you plan on entering this kingdom you preach without being born again(john 3:1-7)?

• BroMac
    BroMac

Darth Rutherford great points above, BOOM

Darth Rutherford

Simply point out that Watch Tower is an organization under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved. This is in direct conflict with the Holy Scriptures. A Witness may start squirming at this point or desparately say something to the effect that the name was divinely appointed or given; however, even so, it remains a name under heaven. No escaping that obvious point.

Try this verse:

NWT (Acts 11:26) 26 and, after he found him, he brought him to Antioch. It thus came about that for a whole year they gathered together with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

They were not called The Way, Bible Students or Jehovah's Witnesses. By Divine providence 'they' were called Christians. Who told Rutherford to change our 'name'? was it also by Divine providence? if they say 'Yes' or 'possibly' , then, can you explain Beth Sarim?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit