Does the Bible contradict itself?

by exwhyzee 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Marked

• srd
    srd

Leolaia,

Your response has got to be the most intelligent and well presented response that I have ever seen in such forums. Bravo. Are you a student, just an avid reader, professr? I'd love to get you over to my site and give me some feedback on what we're doing over there. It only deals with Contradiction in the Bible, and that's the site's name...

cheers,

srd

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The thread should have ended with Leolaia's post.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am trained in literature and linguistics, but not in biblical scholarship per se, so in that sense I am an informed layperson.

What is the link to your forum? I don't really post elsewhere too much, but I might be interested in the discussion. :)

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

There is a very funny youtube clip in the format of a quiz with 2 contestants giving completely different answers to biblical questions. Although contradictory both answers are correct. It gives the scriptures as proof of the contradictons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Not to rain on the exegetical parade, I think it's important to note that (a) the Society has explanations for many of the contradictions mentioned earlier, and (b) talking to a Witness who is a True Believer about the Bible being a collection of books written by different writers is going to be as effective as speaking to him in ancient Greek. It will be easy for the JW to disregard most of what has been mentioned in this thread. Sorry.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Actually, it is an undsiputed fact that the various books and letters in the bible were written by different writers, that is a given.

That WHO these writers were is subject of much discussion is also undebatable.

Even a JW well acknowledge that the bible is a collection of books and letters and NOT the work of only ONE writer.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I think if the person does not want to see contradictions they won't. They have to be ready or cognitive dissonance sets in and the barriers go up. Much better for them to find them themselves.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Even a JW well acknowledge that the bible is a collection of books and letters and NOT the work of only ONE writer

Yes, I was being a bit obtuse, but what I meant was that the typical Witness does not understand the point of looking at the Bible as individual writings because they believe the writings are tied together by holy spirit. The sort of mindset that Leolaia describes ("Because it is not a book [...] it does not have a uniform style or message") is one that comes after losing faith in the Bible as God's word. Making that statement to a Witness discredits, in their mind, anything you have to say after that point because it's a sweeping dismissal of everything they believe in.

Thus, while the thoughts may be valid (and I certainly agree with them), they will be ineffective. And many of the contradictions on page 1 can be answered by looking in the WT Library. I could rebut a few off the top of my head, but don't see the point in taking the time when I don't believe the rebuttals anymore. Just know, exwhyzee, that your Witness friend may be shaken at first, but will quickly come back with a smug grin after reading his Library because the Society addressed the differences in numbers and lineages.

• mP
    mP

The fact there are 30,000 different xian religions is enough proof that anyone can find any text to support any opinion. Naturally given different xian religions have different opinions on numerous matters, its obvious this is because of contradictions. If the Bible was straight forward and consitent it would be impossible to have so many variations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit