Fear

by Skbj 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Skbj
    Skbj

I have a question for people who have left the dubs.

Do you now feel fearful? Growing up as JW they taught me that having fear of God or my parents was a good thing, that there is a good type of fear that stops you from doing something that up set the people you love.

I had a conversation with someone and it made me think. Because the person asked me "don't you think we should fear God? So not to do things that upset him? "

Let's say for sake of argument I did believe in the God of the Bible. The answer is no. I don't fear him.

Why should I fear him?

To me fear is an emotion linked to negative things. A product of our thoughts or in this case of religious inception. I find it a contradiction: if the Bible teach us that God ir great, that he's loving, that he's powerful, that he's creative, that he's happy, that he's merciful, these are all qualities linked to positive things. If anything it should evoke respect and admiration, not fear.

One thing I learned at school from studying the constitution is that freedom does have limits. My freedom stops when it starts to limit another person's freedom. This has shaped the way I think and behave as adult way more than being a JW for 21 years. I don't abuse my body with drugs or smoke, I eat healthy because it makes me feel GOOD. I help those in need and treat others well, not because God told me, or because I have fear to upset him, or don't live forever...but because it makes me HAPPY. It is well known chemicals released in your body when you are happy, and the positive effect they have on your body and mind. To me that's an immediate reason for being a good person and it's more motivational than telling me I have to fear not to upset God.

However more specifically on the fear of God...Example: if I have a friend and mentor, someone who I go to when I need help, when I need advice, someone who's there to support me when I'm down, someone I learn a great deal from and I keep this person in the highest esteem....why would I feel fear this person? Makes NO sense.

So the person told me he just fear that he doesn't give in to the devil and his traps..because he is God's enemy..and this person is loyal...he doesn't want to make the enemy happy and asked if I agreed with that.

I didn't agree. To me, if you do your best why should you have fear? If say, you have to take an exam, and you prepared, studied enough to know your subject, you wouldn't feel fearful as if you didn't prepare at all.

Fear only comes if you don't do your best. If you know that here and there you cheat. If your conscience is clear about something, in this case that you respect God and are loyal to God t hen you have NOTHING to fear, no devil, or to disappoint God. The only place it finds is where people use it to control you just like religions have done over and over the centuries.

I'm not fearful for the future or death. That's my opinion anyway. What do you think?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i understand what your saying, from a jw point of veiw its always fear because if they sneexe the wrong way, god is going to kill them, .that to me is because they are not his children. i can only speak from my point of view ,as a christian now that i dont fear god is the way of if i do this hes going to do that, so i wont do this. the bible talks about gods wrath that is remaining on those that do not believe or trust in christ. but how can a person fear what they dont believe in, i cant answer for non believers. i repent when i sin not out of fear but because i really hate sin and not so god does not get angry. at the same time the bible says not to mock god what a person sows he will reap, with life in view or death. so if a person does not want to submit to the lordship of christ than it would be fearful to fall into gods hand. but i dont think avoiding wrath should be what draws us to god,he does that himself, he is loving like you said.

• happy@last
    happy@last

The only times I'm affected by fear is at the times I am very low, and dare I say, suicidal. At that point the fear of my kids growing up without me kicks in, and I know I have to do something to change my dark thoughts.

I have no fear of displeasing a deity that has no interest in what's going on in this part of the universe.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

happy@last i always makes me sad to hear ones who have thought about suicide,im so sorry you feel/felt that way. my heart goes out to any that have ever had to deal with that. im so glad you see ppl do love you. this religion is so evil!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Once you realise the god construct is just a myth, there is nothing to fear. Free your mind and grow as a person.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cant leavelol he not a myth. but tbe wt god is ,but not the real god of the bible.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think you and I have to differ on that point......

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

we agree to dis agree

• Skbj
    Skbj

Thanks Unstoppable, that's interesting, as I wouldn't define myself a Christian nor a beliver well I believe we were created but not in the way the Bible tell us, so sometimes I wonder if the change in belief that I had is at the root of feeling free of fear, so I'm interested in knowing the POV of someone who does have Christian faith. It's definitely fascinating to me how the Bible takes a different perspective for the better I mean when people leave the dubs.

@Happy, it's also interesting that you feel no fear for a deity although you have a different approach than Unstoppable. I understand of course if you or another person suffers of depression, fears can set in and they can be about anything. I'm glad that you find strength in the thought that your children need their parent don't ever give up. I went through a dark time myself many years ago and that type of thinking definitely helped me.

• Skbj
    Skbj

Cantleave... I understand where you coming from. I don't know where my beliefs sit, possibly more on the agnostic side, I definitely believe someone possibly more than one entity created the universe, evolution from nothing never made sense to me nor ever will, but I don't believe in worshiping anything from a faith point of view which is why I ask myself is this the reason I feel free and don't fear my future or death which are often subjects that make people worry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit