The dignified thread of friendly political debate and banter about British politics

by cedars 10 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Inspired by minimus's latest thread about controversial topics, I thought it would be interesting if we Brits could have a nice friendly non-confrontational conversation about politics without getting all hot under the collar, thus teaching our more boisterous American counterparts a lesson in how to be dignified in these matters!

I'll start the ball rolling...

My political persuasions are not very well formed yet, since I'm still only fairly recent in exiting the Witnesses and giving serious attention to these sorts of things.

I think if I had been involved as a voter in the last election I would have voted Conservative, but I'm dreading the next election because I suspect my options may be more limited.

There are many things I like and admire about David Cameron, but also things about him that irritate me. I like the way he sticks to his guns and doesn't give in easily on issues he cares about, but this can also make him unresponsive to the national mood at times, making him appear somewhat out of touch with reality. That said, I feel the conservatives are doing their best in a bad situation, making unpopular decisions with the long-term objective of getting our country back on an even keel.

Labour's approach to opposition seems to be to simply criticize everything the Tories try to do, without offering any meaningful or articulate alternatives - especially on the economy. In particular, both me and my wife (who isn't British) despise Ed Milliband with his constant nasal whinging and whining. In many ways, I think it's a shame for Labour that they voted in Ed and not his brother, David. If David Milliband was the leader of the Labour party today, I'm sure they would be a far more effective opposition, and present a more appealing alternative for swing voters like myself.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Come on you chaps, let's hear yours!

Cedars

parliament

• bigmac
    bigmac

i have a theory that each party that has been in power for a few years--wants to lose the next election before their policies bite them in the bum.

so what better way to lose an election than front up a leader that no-one would vote for

gordon brown

and the opposition party let a no-hoper front the party in the in-between years--

zippy milipede

he will be dropped before the next election. trust me.

• cedars
    cedars

big mac

he will be dropped before the next election. trust me.

I don't count myself as a Labour supporter, but I can imagine they would be begging for that to happen if they have serious aspirations of winning the next election.

The guy's intolerable.

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods

From what little I have seen of the standards of debate in the British houses of Parliament -

British politics is anything BUT dignified and friendly.

• cedars
    cedars

james_woods

From what little I have seen of the standards of debate in the British houses of Parliament -

British politics is anything BUT dignified and friendly.

I'll give you that my right honorable friend! It's jolly entertaining though.

pmqs

Just imagine you had the opportunity to watch Barack Obama squaring up with the leading Republican representative every week, live on TV.

Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

Do the Brits slap each other with hankies?

• TD
    TD

I've always enjoyed the robust nature of British politics and what frankly seems to be a superior command of the English language. --Especially when the Primer Minister is (attempting to) respond to questions

I think it was Simon who asked a few years ago:

Can you imagine the President ever getting stuck in a doorway and given an ear bashing by a nurse?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I voted liberal demon crat last election. I actually voted for the person not a party. Bloody Tory got in though......

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Cedars! You have destroyed an illusion I've had about you ever since I first saw your photo, cloth cap and all, clearly an honest working class man of the people!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I can't wait for Boris to take over the helm. We may sink without trace but the journey will be so entertaining that we won't notice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit