Who wants to take bets that this "end of the world" scenario pops up in a WT

by wha happened? 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is possibly a good counter witness move the next time a jw calls at your door .{ The mayans with their calendar have got it wrong once in a span of hundreds of years ,you people ( JW ) have got it wrong heaps of times in 100 years }

smiddy

• cedars
    cedars

This was on pages 3 and 4 of the September 2012 Awake!...

maya calendar

"What about the countless books and doomsday Web sites that predict that the world will end on December 21 of this year? One claim is that a supposed planet named Nibiru (or Planet X) is on a collision course with the earth and will reach here in December 2012. This and other theories unsupported by fact have been linked to interpretations of an ancient Maya calendar, which, according to some, ends at the winter solstice of 2012."

Hold on... countless books predicting that the world will end linked to ancient interpretations? Why does that ring a bell?

Maybe it's because of the countless books produced by the Society in which they have tried and failed to predict the end of the world.

One book, the Reasoning book (which every publisher carries in his or her ministry bag), says THIS on page 200...

[Jehovah's Witnesses] believe that we are living now, since 1914, in the last days of this wicked system of things; that some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world; that lovers of righteousness will survive into a cleansed earth.

Looks like the Mayans weren't the only ones to make crazy predictions about the end of the world...

Cedars

• poppers
    poppers

I love how "doomsdayers" took the Mayan calender's ending to mean the end of the world. And now the Mayans will be accused of being false prophets when they never made a prophecy about the end of the world in the first place. Sheesh!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'd love to be around in 100 years to see what history does to the WT

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

If a dub shows up and gloats over that failed prophecy, my response will be thus.

"Well you see, the world did end on that day, but it happened invisibly. The fireballs and upheaval was invisible, and was only seen by those who were spiritual enough to see it with the eyes of understanding."

Then I will sit back and let them deconstruct that faulty reasoning.

Now on to the Year 2038 Problem.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

The WT/JWs criticizing other doomsdayer's faulty predictions can be summed up like so...............

• likeabird
    likeabird

Who wants to bet the article has already been written and is on the printing presses as we write?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The only difference is the Mayans never predicted it was going to be the end of the world.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

right. which is similar to what the Bible says. People took what they wanted and created a end of the world scenario

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit