Public WT magazines - Some stats

by Splash 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

On their website, the Soc explains why they are halving the size of the public WT and Awake! magazines:

Beginning in January 2013, Awake! and the public edition of The Watchtower will be reduced from 32 to 16 pages per issue.

Because the magazines will contain less material, translation teams will be able to make them available in more languages. For example, the December 2012 issue of Awake! was translated into 84 languages, and the December 2012 issue of The Watchtower into 195. However, as of January 2013, Awake! is being translated into 98 languages, and The Watchtower into 204.

Month Printing Each Issue Languages

JANUARY 1, 2012 42,182,000 194

DECEMBER 1, 2012 42,182,000 195

JANUARY 1, 2013 44,978,000 204

FEBRUARY 1, 2013 44,978,000 204

MARCH 1, 2013 44,978,000 205

So from Jan to Dec 2012 the printed numbers stayed the same each month, but one more language was added during the year. These magazines had 32 pages.

This means each month during 2012 there were 1,349,824,000 (1.35 billion) WT pages printed for the public to read.

For the first three months of 2013 the monthly printed number has increased, and the number of languages has increased by 10, but the magazines themselves have shrunk to 16 pages.

This means that for 2013, at this rate, there will be 719,648,000 (720 million) WT pages printed for the public to read each month.

This is a monthly reduction of 630,176,000 (630 million) WT pages printed for the public to read every month.

Two questions come to mind:

1. If you can already print 42 million magazines in 195 languages every month, all with 32 pages, why is such a drastic change to 16 pages needed, to increase this by just 2.8 million magazines per month and 10 more languages?

2. How much money is saved by reducing your yearly printing by 7.6 billion pages?

And this is the WT only, not the Awake!

Splash

• whathappened
    whathappened

The Watchtower Society always has to put a positive spin on things. They can't after all, admit the truth, they've never been any good at being truthful.

• JW GoneBad
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

‘The Watchtower Society always has to put a positive spin on things’

WT never is truthful with the rank and file when eliminations are made. Take for example the ‘Pioneers Assist Program’ that was started back in 2009. It was hoped that this arrangement would result in hundreds of thousands being added to the pioneer ranks. As it turned out this program somehow backfired, perhaps weighting the pioneers down and exposing them to negative spiritual association (‘weak’ ones) within the congregations. So what did WT do? They announced a brief blurb during a service meeting part about a year or two ago that the ‘Pioneers Assist Program was being discontinued as it has served its purpose.’ That was a load of crap!

WT is also being dishonest and not truthful for sizing down the public WT and Awake magazines. Not that I care a whole lot!

I wouldn't mind if they announce one day that the Watchtower and Awake are being discontinued because they also have served their purpose!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

All that effort for about an extra 10 minor languages? err I dont think so...

• Heaven
    Heaven

This means each month during 2012 there were 1,349,824,000 (1.35 billion) WT pages printed for the public to read throw in the trash.

There... fixed it for ya.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I for one am happy that they are adding 10 extra languages to the magazine. It's only fair. The people affected by those languages need to line their bird cages too.

• Heaven
    Heaven

^ LOL!

• Joker10
    Joker10

The number of printed copies did not really stay the same. They only update the number printed once a year-- and always on January 1st issue.

• moshe
    moshe

So, has anything changed at the magazine desk for the suggested contribution amount for those downsized magazines? - 1/2 price sale?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit